Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I have an alergy to MSG and I was wondering why I got sick

I have an alergy to MSG and I was wondering why I got sick after making a beef stew. Is there a break down of protein when I simmer my beef for 2-3 hours? and does this brekdown produce MSG?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.
What exactly did you use to make your stew?
And, what where the symptoms of your illness?
Are these the same symptoms you get when you eat MSG?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used sirloin steak,onions,mushrooms,potatoes,carrots,and turnip,seasoned with salt,pepper,cloves and worcestershire sauce and browning. This is the sameway I have been making my stew and have never gotten sick before. The symptoms I get are I wake between 4-5 in the morning with a sever piercing headache,dry mouth,cold sweats then nausea followed by vomiting for most of the day . Yes these were the same symptoms but I did not vomit.
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for answering my questions.
The worcestershire sauce and browning product may have had MSG added to them. Some source of MSG is in most worcestershire sauces.
The other possibility is that you are developing a sensitivity to natural glutamate as well as monosodium glutamate.
Glutamate is a naturally occuring amino acid found in many plant and animal cells. Beef and mushrooms contain a fair amount of glutamate. Parmesan cheese has the highest levels of natural glutamate, and tomatoes, corn, and scallops also have a fair amount.
Cooking will tend to free up the bound glutamate in the foods that contain it.
The other possibility is that the illness was coincidental, and had nothing to do with the stew at all.