Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018
Health

Can prednisone be used for treating sore throat? If so, how?

How should one use prednisone... Show More

How should one use prednisone to treat a sore throat? I am a classical singer with a concert 10 days away. If my throat doesn't heal naturally in the next few days, should I use prednisone?

Category: Health
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
replied 5 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question.

Was the prednisone prescribed for you?

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

Yes by my family physician

Nurse Milli :

Ok, thanks

Prednisone is often used with people who have lost their voice due to illness or overuse...

So yes, it could help

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

I have a very sore throat. My speaking voice is still quite clear but I don't want to sing until the pain is gone. I have a concert scheduled for 10 days from now with rehearsal starting in 6 days. I'm not sure when and if I should start a course of medication

Nurse Milli :

Just remember that steroids will weaken your immune system, so if your throat is sore due to a viral illness, it could actually cause your body to have to fight harder to fight off the illness...

That being said, you could use them in this particular situation but wouldn't get into the habit of it

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

I want to use the medication as a last resort but am unsure how much time would be needed for it to take effect.

Nurse Milli :

About 2-3 days

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

My doctor has read about it being used for this purpose but wasn't sure what to prescribe. She prescribed 25 ml for 5 days. Does this sound reasonable and if I'm taking it for only 5 days, do I need to worry about weaning myself from it (I've read about that online)?

Nurse Milli :

Usually a Medrol Dose pack is used ....

1st day: 2 tablets before breakfast, 1 tablet after lunch and after supper, and 2 tablets at bedtime.
2nd day: 1 tablet before breakfast. 1 tablet after lunch and after supper, and 2 tablets at bedtime.
3rd day: 1 tablet before breakfast, after lunch, after supper and at bedtime.
4th day: 1 tablet before breakfast, after lunch and at bedtime.
5th day: 1 tablet before breakfast and at bedtime.
6th day: 1 tablet before breakfast.

I'm not sure how many milligrams are in a milliliter, so I don't know if your 25 ml sounds right

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

The pharmacist recommended 5 pills with breakfast.

Nurse Milli :

Ok, so you are not taking a liquid?

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

No

Nurse Milli :

Ok, you had said 25 ml...milliliters is a liquid measurement

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

Sorry, 5 mg!

Nurse Milli :

So, yes, if you start out with 5 tabs at breakfast, it is likely a taper dose like the medrol dose pack

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

No, it's just a bottle of pills and the instructions are 5/day for 5 days

Nurse Milli :

Day one of the medrol dose pak is 5 tabs per day...2 tablets before breakfast, 1 tablet after lunch and after supper, and 2 tablets at bedtime.

You shouldn't need to take them for 5 days...especially if you start them 2-3 days before

JACUSTOMER-x1igzbh1- :

I've read that it can cause sleep disruption and an upset stomach. I think I'll just wait it out until a couple of days before the concert if I'm still experiencing inflammation. Thanks for your help. I feel a little better educated about this medication.

Nurse Milli :

Yes, it can cause stomach upset! Make sure you eat something when you take your medication.

Your Dr's order for 5 tabs per day @ 5 mg per tab sounds about right. I would hold out and not take them if not needed....good luck with the event you are having coming up and let your Dr know if your throat is not any better soon...it could be a bacterial infection like Strep.