Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

How should one use prednisone to treat a sore throat? I am

Customer Question

How should one use prednisone to treat a sore throat? I am a classical singer with a concert 10 days away. If my throat doesn't heal naturally in the next few days, should I use prednisone?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Nurse Milli :

was the prednisone prescribed for you?

Customer:

yes by my family physician

Nurse Milli :

ok, thanks

Nurse Milli :

Prednisone is often used with people who have lost their voice due to illness or overuse...

Nurse Milli :

so, yes, it could help

Customer:

I have a very sore throat. My speaking voice is still quite clear but I don't want to sing until the pain is gone. I have a concert scheduled for 10 days from now with rehearsal starting in 6 days. I'm not sure when and if I should start a course of medication

Nurse Milli :

just remember that steroids will weaken your immune system, so if your throat is sore due to a viral illness, it could actually cause your body to have to fight harder to fight off the illness...

Nurse Milli :

that being said, you could use them in this particular situation but wouldn't get into the habit of it

Customer:

I want to use the medication as a last resort but am unsure how much time would be needed for it to take effect.

Nurse Milli :

about 2 days

Nurse Milli :

2-3

Customer:

My doctor has read about it being used for this purpose but wasn't sure what to prescribe. She prescribed 25ml for 5 days. Does this sound reasonable and if I'm taking it for only 5 days, do I need to worry about weaning myself from it (I've read about that online)?

Nurse Milli :

usually a Medrol Dose pack is used .... 1st day: 2 tablets before breakfast, 1 tablet after lunch and after supper, and 2 tablets at bedtime.

2nd day: 1 tablet before breakfast. 1 tablet after lunch and after supper, and 2 tablets at bedtime.

3rd day: 1 tablet before breakfast, after lunch, after supper and at bedtime.

4th day: 1 tablet before breakfast, after lunch and at bedtime.

5th day: 1 tablet before breakfast and at bedtime.

6th day: 1 tablet before breakfast.

Nurse Milli :

I'm not sure how many milligrams are in a milliliter, so I don't know if your 25ml sounds right

Customer:

The pharmacist recommended 5 pills with breakfast.

Nurse Milli :

ok, so you are not taking a liquid?

Customer:

no

Nurse Milli :

ok, you had said 25 ml...milliliters is a liquid measurement

Customer:

sorry, 5 mg!

Nurse Milli :

so, yes, if you start out with 5 tabs at breakfast, it is likely a taper dose like the medrol dose pack

Customer:

no, it's just a bottle of pills and the instructions are 5/day for 5 days

Nurse Milli :

day one of the medrol dose pak is 5 tabs per day...2 tablets before breakfast, 1 tablet after lunch and after supper, and 2 tablets at bedtime.

Nurse Milli :

you shouldn't need to take them for 5 days...especially if you start them 2-3 days before

Customer:

I've read that it can cause sleep disruption and an upset stomach. I think I'll just wait it out until a couple of days before the concert if I'm still experiencing inflammation. Thanks for your help. I feel a little better educated about this medication.

Nurse Milli :

Yes, it can cause stomach upset! Make sure you eat something when you take your medication.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.