Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat

What is the best way to wean off of the drug Neurontin (gabapentin).

What is the best way to wean off of the drug Neurontin (gabapentin). I have taken it for years to help with my migraines. It really did not seem to help as I had the migraines everyday. I am now at a place where I am no longer have the migraines every day and want to rid my self of medications that I do not need.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 4 years ago.

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you with your concern.

Glad to hear you are not having migraines and are able to come off your medication.

You have to slowly wean yourself off of the Neurontin. The best way to do it is cut your current dosage in 1/2 and take that for 3 days, then cut that dose in 1/2 and take 3 days, then go to every other day for 4 days and then stop all together.

If you suddenly just stop taking it, you could have seizures. Other symptoms you may experience while weaning off of the Neurontin is anxiety, sweating, nausea and insomnia.

Of course, you need to discuss this with your prescribing doctor before quiting on your own.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck. Have a good day.