Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat

Twitching Thumb. The thumb on my right hand, has started

Twitching Thumb.
The thumb on my right hand, has started to twtich, when my hands at rest.
Onset: Over the last week (7 days)
Severity: Getting more and more common.
Causes: I'm unsure. It does happen throughout the day intermittenetly. Today I found if I rested my arm and hand parlm side up my thumb will start twitching...
Changes over the last week other than thumb: i) I did start a new contraceptive pill 4 weeks ago now, ii) I have been under stress, but that's nothing new, iii) I did have a fall about 3 weeks ago but mainly injured my knee as my upper body was protected by bags I was carring.
Family history:
Nothing like this in my family.
MH: Anemia (I'm veggie, but do take iron supliments), pill (Cilest- 250micrograms norgestimate and 35 micrograms of ethinylestradiol.), I also had a termination under GA in May and had a DC 10 days later.
Main question:
How do I stop this from happening, or getting anyworse. I'm a dental student, so its really really important that this doesn't get worse.

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you with your concern.

Your thumb contains voluntary muscles, so from time to time it is going to twitch and probably there is nothing to worry about. Stress can defiantly cause twitching.

You may have a magnesium deficiency. You can have a simple blood test done to check your level. You can increase your intake of magnesium rich foods such as almonds and green vegetables, especially spinach.

You may also have a repetitive motion injury. If you are on the computer a lot, play video games on a regular basis or any other repetitive motion then you could be damaging the nerve. Resting from the repetitive motion is your best bet along with taking an anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen or aleve. (You can either take 400mg ibuprofen three times a day or 1 Aleve twice daily with food) You may also want to get a brace (called a thumb spica splint) that can be purchased at medical supply stores.

There are a couple of serious diagnosis that it could be, multiple sclerosis or ALS. So if this does not get better in another week then it is time to see your doctor and have it examined.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I hope you get relief soon. Have a nice day.