911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

My 18 year old daughter has astrocytoma on her brainstem. She

My 18 year old daughter has astrocytoma on her brainstem. She had surgery to remove the tumor 3 months ago and the tumor is almost the same size as when it was removed. I know these are usually slow growing tumors. What are the chances that it grew back that much in 3 months?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.

It sounds like the tumor was a 'low grade' tumor when they looked at it under the microscope, but, in fact, it has grown back, and, as you can see from the following link.... the low grade tumors CAN become more aggressive. This is terrible news indeed and I am sorry to give it to you. You and your daughter are in my prayers.

So very sorry.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the truth and the prayers:) It hurts but I would rather know exactly what we are looking at. As far as treatment for this, would you suggest another surgery, chemo, or radiation?
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

I can't say ma'am.... this is the area of the neurosurgeon and I am not a neurosurgeon... your daughter needs to be intimately involved in this decision making. she and you need to sit with your most trusted neurosurgeon and oncologist and talk about prognosis with whatever treatment you all decide on.

and, toughest of all, you need to try to honor her wishes whatever they may be. this is a terrible disease, pure evil.... I would NOT surrender hope and I would not give up by any means.... but this is a dire problem and could well end her life despite aggressive treatment.

I am so sorry.

With warmest regards XXXXX XXXXX