911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

Am starting to get really worried about some of the symptoms

Customer Question

Am starting to get really worried about some of the symptoms I am experiencing. I don’t have any family to discuss this with and too frightened to go to the doctors surgery .
Started with alopecia nearly 2 years back with one bald patch it is starting to grow back but only around 15cm so far. I continue to experience really bad shedding of hair that really upsets me, As the doctors have said nothing can be done as I’ve been tested for Thyroid hormone imbalance and iron levels.

I have now stated experiencing other symptoms am hardly going number 2 used to go every other day but over the last 2 months only seem to be going a couple of times a week,
Also been having content flem in the mornings and evenings it sometimes thick and clear in color but other time can be yellow
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

how long since your last thyroid check?

911Doctor :

and have you had an ultrasound of your thyroid?

Customer :

Hi thanks for the response,

911Doctor :

sure thing

Customer :

i am at work and unable to chat is there a chance you can e-mail the response, Thyroid was a blood test check and as it was clear they wold not offfer the ulrasound check as they sais anything would have shown in the blood

911Doctor :

can't email, against site policy and even if you type it in the chat will block your email, but I iwll convert this to a q and a session which we can continue later when you are ready.

911Doctor :

is this okay?

Customer :

I dont finish work until 7pm,

911Doctor :

that's okay...

911Doctor :

it will be open until you close it.

Customer :

ok will you be able to answer my questions at that time

911Doctor :

yes

Customer :

ok i will be online at around 7pm tonight, thank you for your time in advance. Just a quick question now do you think i have something to worry about or do you think im overthinking everything

911Doctor :

I think you have alopecia areata, and there are treatements....

911Doctor :

and I think you MAY have a thyroid problem in spite of the testing...

911Doctor :

more to follow when you are ready.

Customer :

ok thank-you will speak later

911Doctor :

one reference for you and will speak to you later...

911Doctor :

alopecia areata

911Doctor :

talk to you soon

Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

send me a reply when you are ready.

best

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you online to finish lunchtime questions, not really sure how this works
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

I am online...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am new to this site how do i start the online chat again
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
once we go out of chat, and unless I am mistaken, we have to do the Q and A like this... is this okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks sorry am a bit new to this,,

I not sure that i have Thyroid as you prev said as ive had 2 blood test in the last year to check as this i something my mum had.

My patch is growing back is more of the sheading of hair now which the Docs have said nothing they can do apart from me eat heathly and exercise.

What do u think to my other 2 problems

Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
Regarding the hair loss IF you have alopecia areata as I suspect, then a dermatologist can try some steroid injections under the skin that often helps the hair regrow.

As to the thyroid, diagnosing thyroid disease can be very tricky and since you have the symptoms it is probably time to see an endocrinologist... A specialist on thyroid and glandular diseases.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Below are my other 2 questions that have yet to be answered in my org question. Do you think they could all be linked. As my bloods are normal my doctor will do no more regarding throid and i cannot afford privet treatment

Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
do you smoke cigarettes?

how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

how long have you had constipation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do not smoke

5'10 and weigh around 10stone

Few months diff bowel movements but diet not brillient not eating fall meals everyday

Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
So I am at a loss quite frankly.....

I still believe that you have ALOPECIA AREATA, a small spot of hair loss, and that this is unrelated to the thyroid. treatment with steroid injections under the skin will often resolve this issue and your primary care doctor should be able to do this.

as to the bowel problems and lung problems I can not put them all together.

HYPOTHYROIDISM SYMPTOMS ARE LISTED HERE

as you can see, even if you HAVE it your symptoms are not explained by it.

other things to consider regarding the morning cough.....
*seasonal allergies
*sinus infection

other things to consider regarding the constipation....
*lack of fiber in diet (can use metamucil twice a day.... over the counter)
*lack of proper hydration (making sure to get 6-8 full glasses of water a day might help quite a bit
*making sure to eat fruits and vegetables frequently can also help

in short, i do not think anyone is missing a diagnosis that would explain all your symptoms, and I wish i could give you THE answer.... but your symptoms are non specific except for your patchy hair loss, which is probably ALOPEICA AREATA.

BEST