Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Hi I am a 35 year old women. Had a baby 6 weeks ago. all normal

Hi I am a 35 year old women. Had a baby 6 weeks ago. all normal delivery. Only had light bleeding 3 time in the Pregnancy, due to a large cervical erosion. Just before got pregnant I went to my nurse at gp about a lump on the cervix opening I could feel. She said it all look normal and said I do have a cervical erosion which I knew about for 10 years. As it's mention at every smear test but never said about treating it. I then fell pregnant and didnt think anymore. I was given an internal for light bleeding at 16 weeks and 26 weeks by consultants at the hospital. They never mention this lump, just advised me to get erosion sorted after I had given birth. The lump was never mention.
I went this week for my 6 week check and my gp did an internal and look at my cervix. She look concern and said you cervix is very inflamed with a possible polyp. I now need to see a specialist which seeing today. I'm now so frightened that this is something serious like cancer. I've had this lump for at least 10 months now. Had normal smear test in 2009. This lump doesn't seem like a polyp as it pretty hard ish very smooth and seems like a swelling from the actual cervix. It's as big as a penny. Just wanted so advice. I'm on no medication.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 2 years ago.

Pauline :

Hello. do you have any bleeding after intercourse?

Customer: yes sometimes but always told it's due to cervical erosion and always have a smear and comes back normal
Pauline :

It is great that you have had previous normal smears.

Pauline :

have you ever been told you have HPV

Customer: No never
Pauline :

Good, that is also a good sign.

Pauline :

The important things about cervical lumps that are nasty, is that often the initial treatment to remove it is actually all the treatment you need. They will not know the actual nature of the lump without removing it and sending it for analysis. If it turned out the lump was cancerous, then the next thing would be to check that there was no evidence of spread.

Pauline :

So a question to ask today is: will I need any scans to check for local spread?

Pauline :

Also, how long will it take to hear. Usually analysis of a lump takes 2 weeks.

Customer: Why would it not be pick up by two gyne doctors in Pregnacy. I had pelvic scan 2 weeks ago just to look for retained placenta. Which was clear and ovaries were fine too. Had full blood count about 5 weeks ago all normal too. What fo you think?
Pauline :

During pregnancy then we try and minimise digital and speculum examinations where possible to avoid triggering early labour. It is also possible that the bump was not easily visible at the cervix during your two examinations. The presence of mucus and changes during pregnancy also affect visulisation.

Pauline :

There is a bump called a nabothian cyst which can appear on cervix. so it is possible that this bump is entirely harmless, especially with your previous negative smears

Customer: Hope so, thanks for advice
Pauline :

Try not to worry, but don't be afraid to ask questions. They will have a good loop and may discuss taking a sammple or biopsy depending on appearance,

Pauline :

Sorry good look!

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.