Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Can a child go without greens to stay healthy and is a raw

Can a child go without greens to stay healthy and is a raw food diet healthy for an adult female with A pos blood group?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

Diet in general provides two functions. The energy to allow us to do daily activites, and the vitamins/minerals and building blocks to create a healthy body.

Pauline :

So your stepdaughter's diet needs to include enough protein source for amino acids and fruit and vegetables for acting as co-factors in metabolic processes.

Pauline :

If she is not getting enough then you should consider a children's multivitamin

Pauline :

Her doctor will be able to tell if her growth curve is appropriate so get this checked.

Pauline :

A child needs multiple exposure to foodstuffs to begin to like it, and taste also matures/changes with age so keep exposing her to a variety of interesting fruit and vegetables (but don't make a fuss if she refuses initially).

Pauline :

If you have a garden then encouraging her to help grow vegetables will encourage her interest in them.

Pauline :

For yourself, the same principle of a balanced diet with protein, carbohydrate and vitamins. A raw food diet may not provide the right combination that you need.

Customer:

excellent advise thank you as I am now making smoothies which I include all fruit and can. sneak in some vegies.

Customer:

dark chocolate contains antioxidants can it be given to kids? I am using berries in smoothies too

Pauline :

Yes children can have dark chocolate but often find the taste bitter, so usually prefer milk chocolate. The only concern is the amount of caffeine...so small amounts is to be preferred rather than a whole bar. Hot milky cocoa is one way of introducing children and includes the benefits of calcium from the milk too.

Customer:

thank you for all the advise