CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

pretty extreme case

Customer Question

I have a pretty extreme case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.It makes everyday life a constant and difficult battle. Although there is no recommended treatment or cure for PTSD, my California doctor 4 years ago prescribed 300 mg of Effexor a day.It helps a little. I live in 2 states--California and Idaho. Per per my insurance I get 90 day refills.Thinking I had the 3rd bottle I discovered I was out.I phoned my ID doctor and told the assistant what happened-that I had an emergency.I asked to see the dr for 5 minutes to get her to phone the Ca doctor to have a prescrption faxed for a weeks supply. The ass't refused saying the dr was too busy could I come in 6 days later? Afraid of stopping coldturkey--she offered no other option. Now I rec'd a letter from the ID dr telling me I was verbally abusive to 'Debbie' (I certainly was not)and refused to ever see me again-nor would I ever be treated by any of the other 69 drs in the clinic at the attached hospital energency roon unless all the doctors agreed whatever the case was was an 'emergency.Isn't this 'doing harm'? I am a nice and generous 66 yr old woman with a very successful past and many friends. I was simply shocked to death and her actions did real damage to my already difficult life's circumstances. I never spoke to the doctor and apparently she didn't give a yahoo if I had an emergency or not. She made me frantic. Are her-the dr-actions legal? Can she actually tell 69 doctors not to treat me? Furthermore would they all agree? I'm afraid to make a phone call for God's sake. I have never heard of anything quite this cruel. It's more than devastating. A friend has been staying with me since. Holy mackeral.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. When a patient is abusive to an employee of a medical practice it is not uncommon for them to report this to the Doctor, resulting in what happened to you. Since you were not abusive, and even if you were, your panic was justified and understandable. I would recommend you write a letter addressed to the Doctor, explaining what happened, and apologizing if your panic was mistaken for abuse ( which apparently it was). Ask that he permit you to schedule an appointment as you wish to continue seeing him. I have known this approach to work successfully in most cases.