Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

hey there i get red blotches on my face, chest, arms, legs

Customer Question

hey there
i get red blotches on my face, chest, arms, legs every so often and it doesn't just happen when i blush, the heat, wine or stress... it sometimes just happens out of nowhere :/ sometimes i feel myself burning up (not too much) but other times i don't, but it still appears...it's not itchy or raises from swelling and i'm not allergic to anything
it's actual red blotches...it's VERY embarrassing and i've had it for years now (i'm 26 )
sometimes people ask me why my chest is red...it pretty much looks like i scratched an area of skin
by the way...i never get it on my tummy, lower legs and lower arms...everywhere else, i notice it at times
could it be thinner sensitive skin? if so...why would it happen just randomly? yes a few things may trigger it but randomly? :S
anyways, thanks for your help!

kristina
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 2 years ago.

Sudden red blotches on the face is most commonly due to an allergy. The allergy may not be due to food or cosmetics but other causes like sun (called solar allergy) or even changes in temperature. An allergist will be able to give you tests to help identify what you could be allergic to.

Another important cause is psoriasis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition which can occur in the face and upper body besides the hands and feet. It can start off a a simple flushing or red blotches in the initial stags.

Please consult a dermatologist for a checkup.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hey there, thanks for the reply

unfortunately it's not psoriasis or allergies...i had blood tests and allergy tests done :( i just hope to find what it is and even my doctors don't know :(

i guess my best bet would be to see a dermatologist
Yes, a dermatologist should be able to help. It is likely that you have a form of vasculitis - inflammation of the small blood vessels of the skin.

Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythomatosus ) can sometimes also present as sudden redness of the skin of the upper body.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hey there

i checked out those pictures of each but it's not imflammed redness or anything...it's like "rosy cheeks" but blotches of it...on my check...no perfect circles just blotches of red...like as if i scratched myself a little

it's kinda hard to explain
would there be any way i could add a picture here when it occurs?
You can post a picture on www.picasa.com or www.photobucket.com and post the link her.