Dr. Sheriff MBBS
Dr. Sheriff MBBS, Family Medicine
Experience:  Over 10 years experience

blood in that but there is no pain in the chest..I used to see blood

Customer Question

While i am caughing to cleare the phlegm, i used to see the blood in that but there is no pain in the chest. Only first time I used to see blood in the phlegm later will not be there. I have been smoking from past 5 years that too less than 7 per day. Please advice why it is happening like this
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sheriff MBBS replied 4 years ago.
For how long you been coughing blood?
Has there been any weight loss, loss of appetite, or shortness of breath
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

From past one week i am coughing blood, that too when i remove phlegm for first time. Second time there will be no blood. I am feeling shortness of breath also from 3 to 4 months.

Thank you for your information,
Even producing small quantity of blood in sputum requires thorough assessment by a doctor, for the possibilities are:

1. Chronic bronchitis

2. Bronchiectasis

3. Lung access

4. Tuberculosis

5. Lung tumors benign /malignant

6. Bleeding disorders

7. Cardiac valvular problems

As part of the evaluation, blood tests for hematology, biochemistry, chest X Ray may have to be performed initially.

So I suggest that you quit smoking, and make an appointment with your physician within few days.

· If you think I had been of help to you, please click the accept button then only I would get credit for my efforts. Feel free to post me if you have any further queries.