Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I had some blisters appear on my abdomen and lower stomach.

I had some blisters appear on my abdomen and lower stomach. i went to a clinic and they said they did not have the equipment to test it but it appeared viral. i went and got a blood test and it showed I had the HSV 1 type anitbodies. Is this most likely herpes? can it move to my mouth or my genitals? How did I get this in such an odd place?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

Did they say that you had HSV 1, herpes or what is called shingles?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i hit the wrong button. Sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Did they mention shingles?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. I have a family history but it went across my midline which I read that it should be one one side or the other.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I saw a nurse. They did not know. I went to a lab place and got blood work done. It showed HSV 1. I don't think they tested for Shingles.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
A positive HSV antibody does indicate herpes infection. If the antibody that was tested was IgG this means you had an previous infection of herpes, if it was IgM that means you have a current infection and need to be treated. HSV1 can reoccur anywhere mouth, eyes, or genitals, etc. especially if touched during active infection and rubbed somewhere else. So you need to be careful of that. However, give the description of the location this sounds more like shingles. Treatment is the same. I would ask another doctor to take a look at it to see if it is indeed shingles.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A few more questions. One is can the herpes reappear somewhere else if it were Herpes - more specifically, can HSV 1 on your stomach or mouth reappear on your genitals? i was tested previously (less than two months previously) and had no problems. This was an IGG test. Could I now have both types (HSV 1 and HSV 2)? Also can you get Shingles "midline"?

It is pretty much gone but i have some pain along the front of my beltline all the way across my front. I am more concerned about spreading it to a girlfriend. I just don't want to hurt anyone frankly if i have a problem. Not sure what to do.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Yes it can if it is contact in those areas during current infection. If you have an active outbreak then you need to be very careful not to pass it on to anyone else. You are still at risk for infecting others as long as lesions are present. If this was an IgG test that means you had previous Herpes infection and unless IgM was also positive does not indicate current HSV infection. Shingles follows dermatomes, and stops midline without crossing over.