Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

right side of my jaw just attached to my neck..size of my thumb

Hello I am a little worried it "feels" like i have a lump just under the right side of my jaw just attached to my neck. I know it is impossible to describe a feeling to you so im not even going to bother trying. It "feels" quite large, about the size of my thumb. I do not feel this lump on the left side of my jaw in the same area. Everything on the left side "feels" normal. I did not have this feeling in my jaw area ever before in my life. I think I have had it for about 3 months. I am 29 years old. I have never smoked cigarettes but I have been smoking about 1 gram of mairjuana a day for the past 6 years. There is no significant pain when i push the lump (yet). Should i be concerned?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I have read your post, what question on this condition would you like me to answer?

Customer:

is it possible I am in the begining stages of cancer or some other disease? I have read some things online and it seems like its possible i may have it.

Customer:

it seems foolish that im asking this but i really am concerned in all truth

Dr Brims :

Just so we are clear, and I can give you the best possible help, are you asking if a lump you feel could be a sign of cancer?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

The answer to your question is "yes", a lump could be a sign of cancer, but only a physical exam and tests can diagnose it

Customer:

Could the lump represent anything else other then cancer

Dr Brims :

Yes, it could be a benign fat lump, a lymph node or a sign of infection

Customer:

For all of the latter situations, Is that normally a first time occurance for a 29 year old male?

Dr Brims :

Any of them can occur at any age

Customer:

Ok. I do not have a personal doctor. Should I just go into a public clinic as a walk in and see a public doctor? Or is there something else I should do first instead.

Dr Brims :

You can go to any clinic and see any doctor, or an urgent care center as well.

Dr Brims :

Prior that, there is nothing to do but watch and wait

Customer:

Will Canada health care cover anything and everything that pertains to any possible treatment that may be required for any possible Cancer in my body.

Dr Brims :

Yes, they would cover any treatment

Customer:

Is it possible that whatever I have is malignant

Dr Brims :

I don't want to deceive you, it is possible it is malignant, and it could be benign.

Customer:

Thank you for your honesty doctor. I am satisfied with your service. I will go see a public doctor tommorow. Are you allowed to say good luck? I am very scared.

Dr Brims :

I wish you the best of luck, and I really think you will be fine and that you don't have cancer, try to stay calm and assured

Customer:

Thank You