Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

blood..your BP or if you use a Wrist Blood pressure Machine

Does it matter if you use a regular blood pressure machine to check your BP or if you use a Wrist Blood pressure Machine??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Customer:

good evening :)

Dr. Singh :

It is generally recommended that you use upper arm blood pressure machines as these are more accurate than the wrist machines. The ones are the wrist are extremely sensitive to position and can read inaccurately

Customer:

even if you follow the directions to the T? Because I Find that the wrist one actually measures more accurately. The arm one not so much.. the arm one is actually lower than what the wrist one tells me, the wrist one actually is closer to what my dr's tell me what my BP is.. which is why im asking.

Dr. Singh :

Even if you follow directions, the wrist machines are less accurate. The upper arm reading may be giving you pressures that are not consistent with the readings in the doctor's office because the cuff size may either be too small or too big for you.

Customer:

ooh that could be.. i didnt even think about that.. because even if your in the wrong location or dont have the arm one on right you can get different readings.. and im trying to determine the best way to mesure it

Dr. Singh :

best way to measure it is in the upper arm, with your arm at heart level with the appropriate size cuff

Customer:

ok! thank you!:)

Dr. Singh :

You are very welcome.

Dr. Singh :

If you have no further questions please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards