Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

stomach cramps..rigid arms and torso but legs rythmicaly swinging

Customer Question

I have a four year 9mth girl who is in all respects generally healthy but for the past 18mnth sits and intermittently breath holds whilst sitting, when i say breath holds its more like if you had stomach cramps breathing quickly then breath hold till pain stops. This is accompanied by rigid arms and torso but legs rythmicaly swinging. She used to do this in the car seat from an early age. When you ask her what she is doing she immediately snaps out of what she is doing and responds "nothing" Is this a symptom of underlying problem or maybe a developmental problem. The only thing in hindsight is her attention span is very poor. Any advice or diagnosis would be gladly recieved
Category: Health
Expert:  RK replied 5 years ago.
The symptoms may be due to a congenital heart disease.
An echocardiogram may be done for evaluation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Not a satisfactory response does this dr understand the question
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 5 years ago.
Hi
I would have to disagree with the above physician. I don't think that this is a heart disease but more like a developmental issue, possibly a form or autism or this could even be seizures. She really needs to see a pediatric neurologist for evaluation- if they feel that these are not seizures then she needs to see a pediatric psychologist for evaluation- but the neurologist should be seen first- because the treatment of seizures is quite different.

warm regards

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you found this helpful. It you need more clarification, just ask. It allows me to help people like you

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When you say possibly a" siezure " would that still be the case even though she instantly responds w when spoken too. I do have a short video capturing one of these episodes if its possible to e mail you or send via multimedia. Could be benifical
It is less likely to be a seizure, but her jerking movements should be reviewed by a pediatric neurologist first...

warm regards