Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

Customer Question

I noticed some redness on my upper left gums today. It is just on my left upper side of my gums, but it is really a darker red. Nowhere else do I have this redness on my gums and it just seems to be a bit odd. It doesn't hurt and I don't have any ulcers or anything, it just seems to be very red on my upper left side. I do chew tobacco and I'm 23 years old and have been chewing tobacco pouches for a few years. Does anyone know what this unusal redness could be? I went to the dentist 2 months ago and he said there was nothing unusal about my gums and I had a full cleaning. Could this be like mouth cancer or mouth disease? I'm very nervous...what should i do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 4 years ago.
Well the redness is likely gingivitis- which is an inflammation of the gums. It can be aggravated by the tobacco chewing. You really need to stop the chewing
Make sure you rinse with warm salty water twice daily and brush your teeth for at least 5 minutes twice daily with fluoride. This does NOT sound like oral cancer, but you do have a mouth disease- the gingivitis which needs to be addressed.

warm regards

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you found this helpful. It you need more clarification, just ask. It allows me to help people like you

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here