911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

taking to ensure her body can process going under

My 23 year old daughter will be going for minor surgery in a couple of months but will be put under general anesthetic. My concerns are that she is chemically sensitive and sensitive to medication. She has been undergoing NAET allergy elimination treatment over the past year, but other than that, what precautions should she be taking to ensure her body can process going under?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

This is a concern that I understand, but this is also why there is a medical specialty called Anesthesiology.

911Doctor :

And the one thing I would tell you before the procedure is to make sure the anesthesiologist is aware of her allergy history when she meets with him prior to the procedure.....

911Doctor :

and this will be a non issue.....

911Doctor :

the anesthesiologist has a variety of medicines to choose from....

911Doctor :

many of which are synthetic and therefore produce no allergy response in most patients....

911Doctor :

if there is a concern prior to the procedure the anesthesiologist can do a small test dose of the medicines he plans on using....

911Doctor :

but, and here is the key, if there is ANYWHERE that you WANT to have an allergic reaction it is while an anesthesiologist is standing by, because the treatment for ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK, the most extreme form of allergic reaction, is to give epinephrine and, if needed, put the patient on a breathing machine under anestheia until the effects of the allergic reaction can be reversed, which the CAN be.

911Doctor :

i understand your concern as a parent, but your daughter is in good hands.

911Doctor :

and your worries, while understandable, do not really affect your daughter in terms of general anesthesia....

911Doctor :

the deadly form of allergic reaction is treated, as i mention above,

911Doctor :

by putting someone under general anesthesia and on a breathing machine....

911Doctor :

i hope this is clear and i have not seen you in the chat and i must go for a bit... but i will be back to see if you have any questions.

911Doctor :

if not please do click 'accept' so that JA will reimburse me for my time.

911Doctor :

best to you and your daughter.