DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

blood..my arms and legs and pain that feels like bruised tissue..body

Customer Question

I have a condition that my doctor has no been able to diagnose. All blood tests have come back normal with the only exception being an elevated CRP factor that indicates an inflammation. I do not need a test to tell me that since I have swelling in my arms and legs and pain that feels like bruised tissue all over my body. This condition has been progressively getting worse for the past 6 months and I am tired of feeling the pain and discomfort everyday. It is difficult to walk now that both knees have sharp pains while walking and occassionally I feel pain in my hips. Hands are also swollen and I am unable to close my hands all the way. All symptoms are bilateral. Around my eyes and my forehead also feel bruised but do not appear bruised. Cannot open jaw all the way and teeth feel pain when biting down.

Any thoughts?

Doctor has tested for RA and has come back negative.
Lyme test negative
CT scan reveals nothing significant
No excess protein in urine
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
This is not enough testing
you need an ANA panel
this will rule out lupus, slceroderma [a possibility as you describe it] and other autoimmune diseases..

Also
A CPK
To rule out myositis.

If needed, I would suggest that you see a rheumatologist who will work with this wider set of possibilities

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ANA done twice

CPK done twice

All normal

Will see a rheumatologist this Thursday

Not ANA
but an ANA panel.
If this is all normal
Then fibromyalgia has to be a top consideration.
If profound fatigue, then myalgic encephalomyelitis...or chronic fatigue which we know know is probably due to a virus called xmrv.

good luck