911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

I recently retired from the military and in the past 3 years I have noticed some progressi

I recently retired from the military and in the past 3 years I have noticed some progressive changes. I'd like to say I am healthy. Other than slightly elevated Cholesterol in spite of my diet and lack of energy regardless of my diet. I generally eat healthy, fruit vegetable avocados chicken and red meat (only occasionally). I get between 6 and 9 hours sleep each night and fall asleep and get up easily. I am 5'7 210Lbs with a healthy build.
Some other notable changes over the last 4 years have been significant thinning of hair over the past years, I get cold easy, and low heart rate and palpitation of the heart with dizziness if I get up from rest to go up stairs, and it takes longer for scrapes I get from working to heal.
I have a family history of underactive thyroid on my mother’s¬¬¬ side. Grandma and Mom had it really bad, my sisters were fortunate and missed the curse.
I had a thyroid test about a year ago called Total T4 or and it was 2.5 on the initial and 2.9 on the
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

It indeed sounds like you have low thyroid, or, what we call HYPOTHYROIDISM.

The test you had, however, is not the best test for this. Something called the TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone, is typically the best test. It should be HIGH if you have low thyroid.... trust me.... it should be HIGH if you have this.

It sounds like someone has already diagnosed you if you are on levothyroxine as it is the medicine for low thyroid.

Click on the link above to learn all about it, but you do describe the symptoms and need a complete check of your thyroid done by your physician. Also, many times, in looking a the thyroid, it is necessary to get an ultrasound of the thyroid to rule out nodules or masses which occasionally can represent cancer.

Get back with your doctor ASAP and take the reference above with you.