911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Doctor, I consulted a neurologist for numbed feeling and pain

Doctor, I consulted a neurologist for numbed feeling and pain in my feet now suffering for quite some time. The neuro has prescribed Lyrica, pregabalin 75mg for a day in addition to Neurobion Vitamin (B1,B6,B12) 200mg a day. Can I take these tablets along with my other heart drugs that I already using, as you are aware of. Will Lyrica have any adverse effects on me.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

can you please tell me your heart drugs....

911Doctor :

I believe you listed them in a previous question which I can not view...

911Doctor :

and a list of possible side effects of lyrica CAN BE FOUND HERE.

911Doctor :

as you can see.... some minor issues for some people with constipation and weight gain.... nothing major.... but be sure to check the full profile.

Customer:

I am on the following. Ecorin 75 mg noctre, Clopidogrel 75mg noctre,Rozavel 10 mg noctre,Losartan 25 mg twice a day,Carvedilol 3.125mg a day

Customer:

I am concerned about constipation, since I am just recovering after surgery for haemorrhides

911Doctor :

the medicines you are on have no interaction with LYRICA.... you will be fine.

Customer:

The literature found with the pack says that I may encounter allergic conditions such as swelling in lips, face etc. Mostly my concern is the constipation factor

911Doctor :

every single medicine on the planet has those allergic reaction warnings...... very rare to have a true allergic reaction to lyrica.....

911Doctor :

if you are concerned about the constipation issue you may want to take a daily dose of metamucil.... try to do it in the middle of the day or at some point a few hours after taking your medicines....

Customer:

Can I safely take it then? How about the constipation

911Doctor :

that should prevent constipation problems.

911Doctor :

can you safely take what?

Customer:

Lyrica

911Doctor :

and the metamucil IS for the constipation.... to prevent it.

Customer:

what is the dosage for metamucil

911Doctor :

yes, you can.

911Doctor :

the dosage for metamucil is variable because it is not a medicine like we think about medicine....

911Doctor :

it is a bulk forming laxative that passes through your body without being absorbed and it pulls water into the colon thereby loosening the stool....

911Doctor :

but the typical way to take it is on teaspoonfull of the metamucil in 8oz of water twice a day.

Customer:

Even any other laxative may be effective, isn't it?

911Doctor :

sure....

Customer:

ok Thanks Doctor.

911Doctor :

but the metamucil actually has other beneficial effects, like on cholesterol.... and it the most benign of all of them.... many laxatives are for short term use only..

911Doctor :

you can take metamucil once a day for years and it will do you well.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician