Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Hello Dr. My name is Seda and I am a 65 year old woman diagnosed

Customer Question

Hello Dr.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a 65 year old woman diagnosed with Familial mediterranean Fever. Non of my parents had this disorder and when I did research it said that it is inherited and is known before the age of 20. I am taking Colcrys 0.6mg tablets for a month and see no improvements. Please let me know what else should I get tested. My only symptoms are abdominal burning nothing else. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
Since it is a autosomal recessive disorder,it is not necessary for your parents to have had it.It is generally a disease of the young,but late onset or adult variants are also reported.Since the late onset disease is considerably more benign the symptoms would be much more milder than the early onset disease.The abdominal burning would would be secondary to recurrent peritonial inflammation.The work up would consist of lab tests including a Haemogram,ESR,C-Reactive protiens,Serum Amyloid A,haptoglobulin,fibrinogen,C3 and C4.Urine analysis ,X-ray chest and any inflammed joints are done.A Echocardiography and ECg to check for pericarditis and a Ultrasound/CT scan for abdominal pathology other than FMF will help.The colchicine should probably be continued lifelong as it help reduce the number of attacks as well as the amyloid deposits in the kidneys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not seeing any difference with the medication. I am assuming maybe it is a different problem than what they diagnosed. I never have fever which FMF comes with a fever. I am confused. I will ask the doctor to do the other tests that you recommended.
The medicine colchicine acts to reduce the number of episodes of FMF and it may not have any action on the pain.Approximately 5 % of patients of FMF are nonresponders to Colchicine and may require NSAIDs for reducing the pain during attacks.the disease in your case is adult onset FMF,the symptoms are considerably more benign and some symptoms like fever may not occur at all.You can request your PCP to recommend a analgesic for reducing the burning sensation/abdominal pain.