physician123
physician123, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

I am a 33 y/o female that discovered a breast lump about 4

I am a 33 y/o female that discovered a breast lump about 4 weeks ago. The lump is small, about the size of a pea. It is smooth, doesn't have weird shaped margins. It is slightly rubber, it will move side to side, but stays in the same area. When I first found the lump, I freaked out and called my PCP right away. She got me in the same day. We did a screening and diagnostic mammo. The mammo showed nothing, so they did an ultrasound, which again was negative. My doc told me all was well, not to worry. Here's my issue: the lump is stilll there. I THINK it's smaller, not sure, but I do know it isn't bigger. My mom passed away from breast cancer, so naturally I am a little overly anxious on this situation. I feel my breast anywhere from 3 to 8 times a day, sometimes more, feeling for new lumps or anything weird. I have noticed that the breast with the lump seems a little larger than the other, but I think it has always been that way. I do have dense, large breasts. I have had a mammogram every 1-2 years since I was 25, so the radiologist did have previous films to compare with the newest mammo. Somedays I think my right breast (the one with the lump) feels thicker, other days I think it feels the same as the left. Am I just panicking? The tissue feels pretty much the same on both sides...lumpy, bumpy, kind of like cobblestone. I have read so much on the internet and I keep freaking out because most of the searches scream breast cancer. Also, my right breast does seem a bit lumpier than the left, but again the tissue feels basically the same. Is it normal for one breast to feel lumpier? Am I freaking out over nothing? I do have an appointment scheduled with a surgeon in 2 weeks for another consult, but I'm not sure I can last that long...my anxiety is awful. I would appreciate any advice!
Category: Health
Expert:  physician123 replied 2 years ago.

physician123 :

Hello

physician123 :

Welcome to just answer

physician123 :

Please enter the chat ...

physician123 :

I am sorry to hear of your anxiety

physician123 :

Do you have any complaints with the breast ?

Customer:

No. It doesn't hurt, no drainage, nothing. I just happened to find that small lump when I was doing a BSe

physician123 :

PLease do not panic ....

physician123 :

They could not see the lump on sono mammography ?

physician123 :

?

Customer:

no, nothing.

physician123 :

OKay

Customer:

They did a lot of views, spent a lot of time on the ultrasound, but found nothing.

physician123 :

What did your doc say about the small lump ?

physician123 :

Could he feel it ?

Customer:

She did after i pointed it out to her. She said it felt "more rubbery" than cancer would feel, said the margins were distinct and smooth and said she wasn't too concerned.

physician123 :

Well as nothing was seen on the sono-mammogram you need not worry here ... You are doing the right thing by folllowing up with your doc

physician123 :

YOu should not worry about the cancer

physician123 :

If it was it would have been picked up

Customer:

Is it possible to make a breast swollen from feeling for lumps a lot during the day?

physician123 :

You can follow up with your doc for regular checks

Customer:

It would have been picked up even with dense breast tissue?

physician123 :

There can be a little variation in size of the two breasts

physician123 :

IN a very dense breast tissue the ultrasound helps pick up lumps more easily than in a mammogram

physician123 :

Thus yes they should have picked it up

Customer:

Oh...well, if both were negative, then that's good?

physician123 :

As your doc did feel it too then you should follow up with her and let her know that you are apprehensive about the lump you feel.

physician123 :

Yes if they both are negative it sure is a positive

physician123 :

Please do not panic ....

physician123 :

You have gone ahead with the right investigation

Customer:

I was told it could take several months to disappear, is that true?

physician123 :

Yes it could ...you still need to ask your doc about what the lump you feel could be

physician123 :

At times it could just be fat

physician123 :

It could be part of normal tissue

physician123 :

As you have had a normal mammogram you should not get worked up but just follow up with her as I mentioned earlier

Customer:

She said that. She said it could be from an injury, fat deposit, or a fibrous thing.

physician123 :

Yes that is what I have mentioned

Customer:

Ok. So I should chill out, take a deep breath, and keep being dilligent about my SBE.

physician123 :

So just follow up till it disappears

physician123 :

Yes ,you should relaxxxx

physician123 :

Do not panic

Customer:

Ok. Thank you so, so, so much.

physician123 :

You are welcome

Customer:

I feel so much better. Thank you.

physician123 :

I wish you all the best and great health

physician123 :

Take care and god bless

physician123 :

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions.
Do let me know if you have any further doubts.
Please click on the green accept button if this answers you as it is only then that will I be credited for my work.
Thank you.

Customer:

Thank YOU!!

physician123 :

Please hit acceptt in order to accept the answer

physician123 :

Thanks....:-)

physician123 :

Do you have further questions ?

Customer:

No, i am just working on accepting your answer :) Thanks again. I feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

physician123 :

If not then please hit accept in order to end the conversation and so that the site can credit me for my work and time ....

physician123 :

Thanks...

physician123, Doctor
Experience: MD