Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

general questions about Migraine headaches

I have some general questions about Migraine headaches. What makes a headache a migraine a migraine vs just a headache? I have been suffering from headaches for 8 months now. Nothing seems to be wrong with me that is causing them but yet I still have a headache. I say a headache because it really does not go away. I woke up 8 months ago with a headache and it really has not went away. It has gotten better and gotten worse but not gone away. All the forums and stuff I have read on the web it seems people have suffered all their life. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I have not but before this I had some really bad headaches but they came and they went. I'm getting hopeless. Is it common to have this late onset for no apparent cause?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 years ago.
This is more a persistent daily headache as far as classification goes.
Not so much a migraine the way your are describing it.
Here is a good mayo clinic blurb on this
review it carefully

migraine is a migraine because of its characteristics and the way it is a description..which you are not describing.

Good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well it is being treated by two neurologists who don't answer my questions well as a Migraine or at least that is what they call it. I have had MRI's MRAs Heart tests etc Only thing left is an EEG which is scheduled for next week. Don't think it will show much since nothing else has. I would really like to know what is causing it but I would give that up if someone could just make me feel better. Is there treatment for the type of headache you are referring to?
First you have to make sure your neck is OK and an MRI of the neck would show disc problems there will cause persistent headache and the correct physical therapy is the treatment.
Pamelor, beta blockers and tomapax have all been successful with persistent daily headaches.

Remember, a neurologist is likely to miss a neck problem.
good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know that my neck has issues. I was once diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitas it now is A R/O for Elher Danlos III I have degeneration of my C2 which I know is unusual. The ortho thought I had I had a Chiari but Neuro said NO . I don't really understand how one could think I do and the other say No seems like a yes or no. I definitely have arthritis in my neck. Due to the hypermobile joints which no one disagrees with I could be a circus freak. Physical therapy gets tricky because I dislocate very easily. I have been taken off of all the anti ifflamatorys because it was thought that maybe I was having rebound headaches from them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

I see you have relisted your question,

What else would you like to know?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I did not think it was a very good answer. I guess maybe there is no answer. I want to know how you treat this chronic headache. the website he gave me was literally a blurb. It said very little. If I have a Chronic Migraine that is resistant to treatment why was the onset so sudden? I would like my last response to be responded to because it was not. I am crabby because I have had a headache for along time but I expect when I pay for something to get more than if I just enter the words in google.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you for clarifying. I do feel for you as I know that having a headache for so long is something that truly affects everything that you do.

I have a few questions for you...

Do you have a family history of migraines?
Have you been given the diagnosis of migraine or is this what you think is going on at this point?
Do you have nausea?
Light or sound sensitivity?
Does anything make your headache better? Worse?

Have you had an MRI of the neck?

dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No family history
Yes I have been given a diagnosis are you able to see all the treatments I listed that I have been through in the last 8 months.
I do not have nausea all the time once in awhile my headache will spike up and I will get nausea vomiting light sensitivity. I am really at the mercy of the day I don't seem to have any control on what makes it better or worse. I do notice that concentrating and reading sometimes makes it worse if it is already started.

I have in the past. not recently MRI of neck
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I can see the treatments you have been given...

It is possible to develop migraines at any time in life. Typically, there will be some type of family history of migraine.

In order to truly meet the criteria of a chronic migraine, the headache must have two of the following characteristics: it must be one-sided, pulsating in quality, moderate to severe in intensity and/or worse with physical activity.

There must be nausea and/or light/sound sensitivity.

It does seem like you have some of the criteria (light/sound sensitivity and nausea vomiting) as well as the severity (I am assuming).

Unfortunately the treatments that are given do not work for everyone and we have to keep trying different ones until you find the one that works for you....
There are others that can be tried:
Beta blockers, depakote, elavil, magnesium, botox, lyrica are just some of the others that are used for chronic migraine.

I truly cannot tell you why the onset of your headache was so sudden.
The only other issue, as mentioned by the other expert, is whether this is coming from your neck. An MRI of the neck is a good recommendation to make sure that you do not have a bulging disk/pinched nerve, etc that is leading to your persistent headache. If this were the cause, it could cause a sudden onset.

Injections into the neck area would be an option for treatment if this were the case if you cannot do physical therapy.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States