Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

What is it when I wake up and find myself with bruses (black

Customer Question

What is it when I wake up and find myself with bruses? (black and blue marks) on my body ? Without hurting myself the day before. Is only sometimes but stays for a couple of days. I want to know how to prevent it or what is it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Is there any other known medical illness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've been having these weird symptoms ever since I could remember I would say teen years, Test about what ?? What type of tests should I do ? Well medical illness I would say I had and are free for a year now would be epilepsy. But I'm cured now since it wasn't severe. I had a treatment when I was pregnant and I'm good now is been a year I havent had any episodes whatsoever. I really don't think is that. What would you sujest?
The most common causes of bruises are:due to certain unknown reasons- capillary walls become more fragile and prone to rupture,liver diseases like cirrhosis of the liver, hepatitis, platelet disorders, marfan syndrome, von willebrand's disease, bone marrow disorders, antibodies anti-FVIIIc syndrome and cushing's syndrome, blood clotting abnormalities.

The first thing you need is to have blood tests & ultrasound scan so as to know the exact cause. zinc and folic acid or vitamin C supplements help prevent easy bruising. So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for tests to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.

Following tips will help you greatly in treating the bruise:For first 48 hours:Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of the bruise.

If it has been above 48 hours than: heat in the form of a warm washcloth applied to the bruise for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the bruised area allowing the skin to reabsorb the blood more quickly.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for tests to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.Charles