Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

To whom it may concern My son has recently been diagnosed

Customer Question

To whom it may concern:

My son has recently been diagnosed with White Coat Hypertension. He went in for a stress echo and the test could not be done because he was too nervous around the doctors and had a BP of 200/105. They made him see the Cardiologist immediately, and an EKG was done. That came back normal. Also, they took a look at one of his Echocardiograms that he received in August and that was also completely normal. They asked me to purchase a BP machine, and did so from Walgreens. We took his blood pressure and it still seemed to be a bit high for my liking. It read 158/84. He is 20 years old, and a college baseball player. He is 5'10 and weighs 275 pounds. I think that some it may be that he is over weight, however, I'd just like to get more opinions.

Thank you very much.
Concerned Mother
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Tiwari :

Dr.Tiwari :

Is there any family history of high blood pressure?

Customer:

I believe his biological mother had iron diffusion, but I'm not positive about the BP. I do know his brother also has it, and is also a bit over weight

Customer:

His brothers is normally higher than that, however, he was never diagnosed with high BP because everything comes back test wise and is only majorly elevated while around or at doctors offices

Dr.Tiwari :

Is he also taking any type of medicines or supplements?

Customer:

He was prescribed Xanax for his anxiety to be taken before appointments...and I do know he was taking a couple different supplements but quite those when this first started

Dr.Tiwari :

Occassional rise of blood pressure due to situations ,stress & exercise is not harmful but a continuous rise of blood pressure warrents treatment.

Dr.Tiwari :

In case of your son the reading is too much.such reading may create the problem in future.

Customer:

How concerning is a BP of 158/84 though? I took that about 30 minutes ago, while he was at "rest", not doing anything physical. But his heart rate was pretty low for such a high BP I feel of 79

Dr.Tiwari :

Your son is investigated completely to rule out the other factors which can lead to high blood pressure like abnoraml renal functions,high cholesterol,etc.

Dr.Tiwari :

The systolic blood pressure is still high .This comes under the moderate hypertension.

Customer:

Is this curable and will he be able to continue playing baseball? He was drafted out of high school and is getting looked at again after college, and I feel that some of this anxiety can be caused because he is concerned about not being able to play

Customer:

And yes, he has gone through numerous blood tests, EKG, echocardiograms, and others

Dr.Tiwari :

The high blood pressure can be controlled by medicines.The exercise is one of th good factor which is adviced for these patients.

Dr.Tiwari :

If his reading continuously shows isolated rise of systolic blood pressure then he should also be investigated for decrease excretion of salt,

Dr.Tiwari :

or lack of elasticity of aorta.

Dr.Tiwari :

He should improve his dietary habits,decrease the sodium intake,decrease the intake of coffee & tea.

Customer:

I guess the big question on this is is most of this curable and will he be able to live normal lifestyle?

Dr.Tiwari :

Stress should obviously be reduced.

Dr.Tiwari :

Yes.

Dr.Tiwari :

This condition will not hamper him to enjoy his life in any way.

Customer:

Okay great, thank you doctor Tiwari

Dr.Tiwari :

Welcome.

Customer:

Nice to have people like you. Thanks agai, MIchelle

Dr.Tiwari :

Wish you & your family a happy & healthy life.

Customer:

As to yours.

Dr.Tiwari :

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.

Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience: M.D.