911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

what is the difernce between hpv and herpes. i have pin sized

what is the difernce between hpv and herpes. i have pin sized white heads on the shaft of my penis and now an ichy genatal area. kinda like a break out of pimples on my face, when i was a teen. and can it spread to other parts of my body?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

herpes and hpv are two different viruses that cause the disease known as 'herpes'

READ ABOUT HERPES HERE

and hpv causes genital warts....

READ ABOUT GENITAL WARTS HERE

unfortunately, the only way to tell what YOU have is to have a doctor look at and do labs on the skin where you see the rash. the alcohol and a and d ointment will do nothing for either hpv or herpes.

both hpv and herpes are sexually transmitted and you can spread them to others if you have either.

there are good medicines for herpes but no cure as of yet.

genital warts can be removed and sometimes come back.

i am standing by if you have any questions, but there is no way to tell what you have without getting tested.

best
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the best home treatment until i get a doc visit then? and can it spred, mouth,back,legs ?
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
first of all, you can't talk about treatment without knowing what you have. it may be neither.

so the best thing to do is to keep the area clean and dry and to wash you hands with soap and water after using the bathroom everytime.

herpes CAN be spread, but it typically is not spread easily to unbroken skin.... HOWEVER, if you run an infected sore and then rub your eyes you CAN get a very dangerous eye infection.

for hpv there are no such risks.

in terms of medicines for home, again, without knowing what you have the answer is keep it clean and dry and abstain from sex until you know what you have.

best
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i get that i have not been diagnosed. but i want to know the distinct difernces and non perscibed treatments. if i went to the doc i wouldent need info from this site. i am going , but want to b fully informed before i go. so by you saying to keep everything dry, does that mean keeping a and d on it will be a bad thing? please give me some differnt symtoms of the two. i have to have one or the other
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
i have already given you a complete description of both different diseases in a link above to the mayo clinic....

here they are.....

herpes....
CLICK HERE TO SEE SYMPTOMS

CLICK HERE TO SEE IMAGES

as you can see, it can look very different in different people....

hpv
CLICK HERE FOR SYMPTOMS
CLICK HERE FOR IMAGES

and as for home care here are the specific pages that are a bit more detailed than what i gave you above regarding hand washing and keeping the area clean and dry. a and d ointment is fine if it helps sooth the rash.

HOME CARE FOR HERPES

HOME CARE FOR HPV.... NONE, REMOVAL WITH PRESCIRPTION MEDS OR SURGERY

as you can see there is very little to be done at home for either without prescription medicines. so keeping it clean and dry and using your ointment is fine. i honestly don't know how to answer this any better.

best