Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Is light brown stool the same as clay colored stool, or is

Is light brown stool the same as clay colored stool, or is clay a different color? If so, what does it look like?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

No this is different

mysticdoc :

Clay color is more like ash colors ( more pale).

mysticdoc :

Light brown is still normal stool color.

Customer:

ok, so clay color is more whitish then?

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer:

ok... my reason for asking is b/c i've been having a pain in my right side (nothing severe, nothing persistent, but it comes when i twist a certain way or walk a certain, stomp right foot a certain way... you get the idea)... i started feeling the pain after running late for work two fridays ago and running into my building with my backpack and laptop on... it wasn't until after that that i felt the pain... thought it may be a muscle strain, but it didn't really go away after 5 days or so, so i went to doctor, and got blood test, urine test, and ultrasound... all normal... but a few days later started having digestive issues... not sure if the two were connected, but i was rather constipated... i've been eating nothing but high fiber foods... so digestively i feel good again, but stools have been lighter brown than normal, with some undigested food in it... the doctor has also recommended a HIDA scan to check my right quadrant more since the ultrasound was normal...

Customer:

i really still feel i've strained a muscle though, b/c the pain is not constant and i only feel it when i move certain ways... and the doctor that ordered the hida scan was not even the one that saw me

mysticdoc :

Thanks for the details.

mysticdoc :

This sounds more like muscle strain with your activities.

mysticdoc :

Gallbladder problem will cause persistent nausea, vomiting

mysticdoc :

In the absence of that and normal ultrasound it is unlikely.

Customer:

yeah, no vomiting, fever or anything like that

mysticdoc :

I think it is muscle related

mysticdoc :

diverticular disease is a possibility if you have irregular bowel habits.

mysticdoc :

Then it is better to get a colonoscopy.

Customer:

could the poor digestion a few days after the ultrasound was taken be related to a muscle strain?

mysticdoc :

this may be unrelated

mysticdoc :

but a viral infection of the stomach can cause that

Customer:

right

Customer:

a nurse recommended the probiotic bio-k and benefiber, and i've been doing much better since

mysticdoc :

yes that is helpful.

Customer:

someone told me that gallbladder pain usually occurs within minutes of eating a meal , and other symptoms are nausea, vomiting , yellow skin or eyes and clay colored stools .... so that was the reason for my question because my stools have been lighter since the regiment was started that i'm on, and i just wanted to make sure that clay and light brown were two different things

Customer:

If it is a gallbladder inflammation minus stones, are there non-surgical options? If surgery is the recommendation, under the circumstances that I have described, what is an acceptable wait time? I only ask because I have to travel to Italy next week for work for a few days. In such a situation would it be risky to put off the surgery until after the business trip?

mysticdoc :

I do not think you have gallbladder problem in the rist place.

mysticdoc :

in the first place.

mysticdoc :

light colored stool normal with probiotics due to the fast trasit of the stool through the intestine.

mysticdoc :

Surgery is not the consideration here.

mysticdoc :

just stay on your diet ( high fiber low fat)--avoid pizzas in the italy.

Customer:

haha, ok

mysticdoc :

welcome

Customer:

i will be meeting with this doctor tomorrow... do you think it's possible after all that I've explained to you that he will decide differently on the HIDA scan?

Customer:

aka, if it's not necessary to pump radioactive fluid into me for 2 hours i'd rather not

mysticdoc :

Yes he may after you discuss your symptoms--

Customer:

ok, thank you for your advice

mysticdoc :

very welcome