Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

he doesnt use his left arm andhis wrist is bent..C section..shoulders

I saw my newborn grandson yesterday and noticed that he doesnt use his left arm andhis wrist is bent over with his fist clenched. My daughter gave birth to him finaly after a C section last Saturday after 50, yes 50 hours of labour. The baby had got his shoulders stuck and I fear he has nerve damage to his shoulder. The other arm was very bruised. That was spotted at the hospital but they didnt seem to notice the other limp arm and he was sent home on Monday. I have hardly slept a wink I am so worried. I have to speak to my daughter today. Should she take him straight back to the hospiutal to see a paediatrician on the ward where she was or go to A&E. Her next appointment with the midwife is next Friday for his 10 day check (at 14 days because the midwives are so busy) I think it should be seen quickly.
Please give me some information on the problem, treatment, prognosis etc. so that when I speak to my daughter I can word it carefully and correctly.

Help please

worried Grandmother
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.

Doe he move the upper part of the arm? Is the lower part only affected?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He can move the upper part a little
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

From your history, it sounds like a brachial plexus nerve injury. This can affect part or whole of the plexus. He needs an evaluation by pediatrician. The degree of injury needs to be determined. In most cases it is mild & treatment is watch & wait as they often heal of their own. But it can take 3 months to a year.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it need surgery? and if so how successful isit?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.

Surgery is rarely needed. If there is no improvement after months then surgeon can think of it. Usually physical therapy to increase the range of movement is used first.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please press the ACCEPT button so that I can be compensated for my time & effort. Regards.