drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

It started with very sharp pain right under her bottom left rib

Last night my wife had some weird symtoms and it is got her worried. It started with very sharp pain right under her bottom left rib. It felt like it keep getting worse and worse until finally after rubbing on the area, it felt to her like something "popped". after she felt it pop, it felt to her like it was fizzing, or leaking fluids out on the inside. Her heart started racing and she felt like passing out and during this time her body felt numb. The only thing that would help is if she would pace back and forth, the numbness and diziness would subside breifly, but would come back in waves. everytime it would flare up, she could taste stomach acids.

now that a whole day has passed by, she still does not feel 100% and can feel that some kind of "event" has taken place under her left rib. please help as we are stumped and cant afford to have an unecessary trip to the hospital.
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 3 years ago.

drknowsbest :

it is possible she has a hiatal hernia-of course with the location you cannot be totally sure there is NOT cardiac involvment unless she goes to the dr

drknowsbest :

some things that make it less likely is that it changes with motion-usually cardiac is best at rest and worsens with motion

drknowsbest :

the racing heart is nonspecific as a reflex in the stomach called a vagal reflex (nerve that is involved in many processes-both gastric and cardiac) can cause this change in heart rate and dizziness without a problem being in the heart

drknowsbest :

a hiatal hernia can sometimes feel "weird" if it is sliding and happens to go through the diaphragm in that same area-also may cause acid symptoms like she has

Customer:

so what cause you to get one of those kind of hernias

drknowsbest :

i would have her start an antacid medication like prilosec or prevacid once a day for the next week or so but if the dizziness comes back i would be evaluated, these hernias can be spontaneous or due to pressure in the abdomen from gas/bloating or liftin

drknowsbest :

there is not usually more of a treatment for a hiatal hernia than an antacid medication but if the pain becomes severe they can be corrected-can be diagnosed with an egd scope and sometimes on xray

Customer:

thank you. that makes sense. you made us feel alot better, if the dizziness does not go away we will go in to get an eval

drknowsbest :

im glad

drknowsbest :

if no more questions please press accept good luck

drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience: DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health