CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I am 52 years old and for 10 months now, I have tingling and

I am 52 years old and for 10 months now, I have tingling and numbness in my face and lips. I have had 3 total blood work-ups, a MRI and a CT Scan. All results are normal. At the EXACT same time this started I stopped having my period. I am not sick, nor do I have any other symptoms except hot flashes. I AM GOING CRAZY !!!! I have seen 2 different medical doctors and a nuerologist and Oral Surgeon. At this same time I was also getting extensive dental work done.
Any advice you can give me would be helpful. I live in a small rural town of 700 people with no big cities in a 100 mile radius. I dont mean to put down the small town doctors and they have all assured me that it is either a punctured nerve while getting my teeth extracted or menopause. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. Where on your face? One side or both?

Customer:

Mainly on one side. The worst part is the corner of my mouth and lip and chin. That is where the numbness is at. The tingling is around my eye and temple and right outside of my ear hole. I have total movement of everything. Nothing has ever been paralyzed. And once in awhile but not always that same side of my tongue. There is a part of my cheek that has always been totally normal. In March I had an absessed tooth pulled where the dentist gave me 9 shots of novicane in that same area of numbness. But at that EXACT same time my period stopped. I was on a website yesterday and read MANY MANY MANY stories from women my age that they feel the same way I do, and have had all the tests I have had and they too come back with normal results. They all found out that it was menopause that was causing it. I am now seeing an Oral Surgeon and I have gum disease so I am going through the deep cleaning process.

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
I answered in another window... I will have it all moved to this one. Thank you:-)

CamilleRN :

Food allergies are notorious for causing facial symptoms such as numbness and tingling....could be something as simple as a food dye or additive causing this.

CamilleRN :

and it's not too far fetched to imagine that the injections you got that day hit a nerve that continues to be effected.

CamilleRN :

the good news is when this happens ( due to novocaine injections) it almost always self resolves over time.

CamilleRN :

If it is due to an allergy... this can be ascertained through an allergy specialist that can test you for additives and dyes

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply, I am kind of dumb when it comes this online stuff Ha Ha. But what do you think of this menopause concept?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
I think it's possible due to hormone fluctuations.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)