CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Hi, I am a 28 year old male. Last Tuesday i went to the doctor

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 28 year old male. Last Tuesday i went to the doctor for a pain i've been having in my right side. Nothing constant, but if I twisted a certain way, or stamped my right foot a certain way, I would feel it. On the scale of 1 to 10, the pain was a 5, but it still concerned me so I went to the doctor. To check to see if this was gallstones, I had an ultrasound, and I also had my blood tested. Blood tests came back normal, and ultrasound was normal, no stones. We now think that it must have been a muscle strain, which made sense because the pain started when I was running late for work a few days before that, and I ran into the building from my car with a backpack and laptop on me. The problem is that the following Friday I started feeling constipated, and Sunday I finally went high fiber in my diet and took some Miralax on Sunday and Monday. What I'm concerned about now is that my constipation is gone, but the brown rice that I ate is still in my stool, and these pink specks as well. It doesn't look like blood, it's much lighter than that, but I want to know if all these problems I've been having may be connected and if I should be worried or at what point I should be worried. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today.

Customer:

Hello, thanks

CamilleRN :

Sounds like a bit of undigested food. You'll want to watch that and let the Doctor know if it continues to be a problem. You may have something called Irritable bowel syndrome( IBS) IBS is a term given to a functional bowel disorder that can cause constipation, diarrhea , either or… or both.. Try this, drink least 8 glasses of water per day. Purchase Bio- K ( available in the cold case of health food stores) , which is an excellent probiotic that will not only help with regularity but also improve your immune system, also purchase Benefiber..( Over the counter) and take it per package directions. This combined with Bio K will promote regular, productive, well formed, easy to pass stools and help eliminate abdominal bloating and gas...and the pain you had been feeling.

Customer:

do you think it could be related? the earlier pain?

CamilleRN :

yes

CamilleRN :

It can take a week or so to become aware of impending constipation

Customer:

right

CamilleRN :

if you follow the protocol I gave you, I think you will be very happy with the regularity

Customer:

my doctor said that if the pain in my right side was a digestive issue the pain would be in the lower abdomen

CamilleRN :

sometimes food isn't fully digested... also skins of some veggies dill not digest, just as corn doesn't.

Customer:

this is low end of ribcage

CamilleRN :

well... speaking from personal experience with IBS I have gotten upper quadrant pain as well.

Customer:

ok, makes sense

CamilleRN :

If your bowel movements eliminated the pain, then this is what it is

Customer:

the pain is not fully eliminated yet, but i feel it's better

Customer:

from a 5 out of 10 to a 3 out of 10 i'd say

CamilleRN :

then try to get the bio K as soon as you can and begin the benefiber daily,remember to drink atleast 8 glasses of water per day

Customer:

would that be equivalent of 4 bottles?

CamilleRN :

is the pain affected by deep breathing?

Customer:

no it is not

CamilleRN :

good

CamilleRN :

yes... 8 / 8 ounce glasses

Customer:

ok, makes sense

CamilleRN :

or 4 16 oz bottles

Customer:

ok

Customer:

how can i be sure that it wasn't blood in my stool?

Customer:

i examined it, and it was just pink speck to me

CamilleRN :

Blood will look black

Customer:

ok

Customer:

or dark red?

CamilleRN :

if it happens again, get gloves and take some out and spread it on a paper place to see what it is... rinse if off

CamilleRN :

it is probably some kind of fruit or vegetable skin pieces

Customer:

carrots perhaps?

CamilleRN :

I know that sounds gross... but it will help you to determine what it is

CamilleRN :

YES

CamilleRN :

:-)

Customer:

that's what i had with the brown rice that i know didn't digest all the way

Customer:

is that common after taking something like miralax to relieve constipation?

CamilleRN :

Skin is fiber.. what it does is stay in taact , stick to the crevices and pull out the stool along with it during a bowel movement..this is why fiber is good

CamilleRN :

yes

CamilleRN :

a normal reaction

Customer:

ok

Customer:

good to know

CamilleRN :

Ihope I have helped you and I hope you feel 100% better very soon:-)

Customer:

so i should not be overly concerned about my colon or anything cancerous based on what i've described to you?

CamilleRN :

no, not at all

Customer:

ok

Customer:

one more quick related detail...

CamilleRN :

sure

Customer:

my stools have been narrower than usual since i took the laxative... the first go yesterday narrower than usual but not thin, but when i came home from work, i went once more and it was then, but it was just a little bit... any reason for concern on that? or is that normal? today i have had one movement, back to narrower than usual, but not pencil thin, just narrow

CamilleRN :

This can happen from time to time due to irritable bowel syndrome..this serves to solidify that this is most likely your problem.

Customer:

ok

CamilleRN :

Once you get on a daily regimen of the bio K and benefiber this sill no longer happen.

CamilleRN :

I know it seems like a pain in the neck, but it is well worth the effort.

Customer:

and timetable if the remedy that you've recommended doesn't change things?

CamilleRN :

It will:-) but IF it doesn't.... then see your Doctor for a colonoscopy. But honestly you have the typical symptoms.

Customer:

ok, this has been very helpful, thank you

CamilleRN :

see how you are in one week after starting the program

CamilleRN :

you are very welcome

Customer:

ok, thanks

CamilleRN :

anytime:-)

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi we talked yesterday regarding what you feel may be symptoms of IBS. I purchased the Bio-K and the Benefiber that you recommended and went to work on it last night. I took it with a meal (chicken and vegetables) and within about 20 mins i was having diarrhea, but none since. Is that normal? Also, roughly at what point should I start seeing my stools returning back to normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi we talked yesterday regarding what you feel may be symptoms of IBS. I purchased the Bio-K and the Benefiber that you recommended and went to work on it last night. I took it with a meal last night (chicken and vegetables) and within about 15-20 mins i was having diarrhea, but none since. Is that normal? Also, roughly at what point should I start seeing my stools returning back to normal?