CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have complusive eating problem

I have restlessleg syndrom, arthritus, many aches and pains. severe insomia, due to have complete left knee replacement on November 1. All this is because of my weight--5 10 weight 292 lbs. I am complusive eater. At night when I feel bad [which is often] I munch on a snack. A vicious cycle. any suggestions? this is a health question not a parenting question

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. I am so sorry you are struggling with this.Have you considered eating healthy snacks at night?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i considered but have not done it is a good suggestion and I will try.

any other suggestions? I do see a psychiatrist once every 3 months are there any medications for complusive eating?

yes...there are medications that help with compulsive over eating such as some antidepressants as well as anti seizure medications ( by prescription only). The best and most successful long term results come from cognitive behavioral therapy, which you are likely doing now with your Psychiatrist. This is how you will learn new ways to deal with the stress that sometimes leads to over well as new habits to replace the old. Some really good night time snacks that won't hinder your weight loss program include fresh raw vegetables cut into strips and dipped into a low fat dressing.. along with a handful of unsalted pretzel's. A salad made with lettuce, cucumbers, celery ( which is a natural diuretic), tomatoes and a few strips of white meat turkey or chicken with a low fat dressing is also a good, low calorie snack. Here is a link to some additional information from the Mayo Clinic that will be helpful to you: HERE