CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I started having a slight medium sharp pain in my upper left

I started having a slight medium sharp pain in my upper left chest last night. It is not continuous and doesn't exist when I take a deep breath.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. Does the pain worsen with movement? Does it get worse or better when lying down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the pain doesn't worsen except if I cross my left arm over my chest. It doesn't worsen when I lay down.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
when you breathe does the pain go away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Usually when there is swelling in the lung or chest wall, breathing can make the pain worse just as lying down will make the chest pain worse when there is irritation around the heart. It may be something muscular, but because it is chest pain, the safest thing to do is to go to the Emergency room so you can be examined by a Doctor to be sure it is not heart related, and to receive treatment so you can feel better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pain was slight but I had concern because it was in the heart area, actually between the shoulder and the breast. I have had a full battery of testing in the last year and the only issue has been an irregular heart beat (being treated). The slight pain has subsided as the day passes. I think that I will not go to the doctor unless the issue continues. Do you agree? I know that you are not responsible I just want your best thought.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
If it has gotten better, I would agree that you can wait to see if it returns, if it does, then yes, you would want to be seen by a Doctor. Also..are your bowels moving well? Sometimes gas can cause this kind of pain.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.