CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

My wife has a yellowy brown discharge and did not respond to

My wife has a yellowy brown discharge and did not respond to an antibiotic. The doctor is running a test for trichomoniasis among other things. How can someone pick up something like trichomoniasis?
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. trichomoniasis is a parasite that thrives in a moist , warm environment. While it is a sexually transmitted disease, It is not always passed sexually, it is possible to contract it from a toilet ( with direct contact to infected material) , a damp towel or wash cloth with fresh discharge containing the organisms. I hope this helps, please let me know if I can help you further:-)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How common is it to get it from a towel or seat or other source?
It is not very common, but it does happen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have joined a health club where guys sit unclothed on the benches while getting dressed. Would this be a possible source?
Yes, while it would be easier for a female due to the design of the genitalia, I suppose it could be possible if you happened to sit on someone else's Trich discharge and it migrated to your penis. Unusual, but none the less, possible.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Last question, are the other STDs only contracted through sexual contact?

Most STDs are spread via direct sexual contact with an infected person...the exception to the rule is herpes, pubic lice or trichamoniasis which can be contracted from a toilet seat or other means which would allow direct contact with the infection/infestation.