Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I have a general health question, but I couldnt find a health

I have a general health question, but I couldn't find a health category.
I weigh about 65kg, I'm quite athletic and I generally eat well. But I have rather chubby legs. I want to know how to change my eating habits further to improve this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

I have some questions to clarify your problem:

--How tall are you?

--Do you know how much you are eating (calories) per average day?

--What kind of exercise do you do, and how often?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm 165cm tall.
I'm not sure how many calories I'm eating per day or how to measure this. I make a stir fry or curry etc at the start of the week and eat that for lunch most days, so I wouldn't know where to begin counting calories.
I exercise between 5 to 4 times a week. Mostly at the gym, 30 minutes of cardio and 15-20 with weights.
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I logged off early yesterday.

-
In order to lose weight, you need to eat less energy than your body requires each day. So, you need to know how much you are eating. This can be accomplished by keeping a food diary and taking a look at the type of foods you are consuming, along with the caloric content.
-
Here is a link that can help: CalorieKing.com
It is free to use and will give you nutritional information on almost anything you want to look up.
-
You do need to keep track of what food and how much of it to use this.
Here is a link that explains portion sizes: Portion sizes
-
Once you determine how much you are eating, and if you are maintaining your weight, you will have an idea. Eliminate 500 calories per day for a loss of about 1 lb per week. Or, 1000 calories per day for a loss of 2 lbs per week. Never go below 1200 calories, as anything less than that will not provide you the nutrients you need for good health. In any case, losing more than 2 lbs per week is not healthy and will not last.
-
Or, you can use this tool. Here's the link: Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Tool.
Enter your information, and it will give you a diet that should help. Follow the pyramid, as balance in your diet is important in allowing your body to function optimally, and lose the weight efficiently. It will provide a 4 page list of the types of foods in each group of the pyramid, and you can print this out.
-
Continue to keep a food diary, and try to plan your meals and snacks out for the day so that you know what you are going to eat when. This will help you stay on track. Also keeping the diary and checking your weight weekly will allow you to see where you need to make changes.
-
Don't forget water. This is also very important for weight loss. At your weight, you should drink 8 to 9 - 8oz glasses of water per day. If you exercise for 60 minutes per day or more, or you perspire heavily during exercise (also if your climate is very dry), you may need more water.
-
Daily exercise, at least 30 minutes per day, is needed to keep your metabolism running efficiently as well so that your diet will work.
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management