CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have a very embarrassing problem. My anus will not stop itching.

I have a very embarrassing problem. My anus will not stop itching. I try to avoid scratching it but the itching is horrendous so I rub it, resulting in it being very sire. What do you think causes this? This has been happening for the last four months
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. Anal itching can be caused by moisture in the area ( sweating), spices, peppers, hot sauces, hemorrhoids, fistulas, and bowel diseases. Have you been seen by a Colorectal specialist? IN the mean time there are numbing creams available by prescription that can help stop the scratch /itch cycle allowing it to heal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything I can buy over the counter that you recommend?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Nupercainal ointment is helpful... as are Tucks medicated Pads ( Both availabel over the ounter) . A sitz bath will help a lot too... they are available at most pharmacies for around 20$. What a Sitz bath does is cleanse and soothe the area. It is filled with warm water and with a small amount of anticeptic solution such as Dr Bronners Medicated soap, (Peppermint), it connects to a tube which connects to a large hanging bag filled with the same soultion and it continually adds the water to the bowl. 20 minutes 2 or more times per day should be very soothing to you.