Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I believe my mother is faking bouts of delerium i am not sure

I believe my mother is faking bouts of delerium i am not sure and do not know how to respond her. Do you have any suggestions. she has an illness that has symptoms of memory loss or confusion but i feel her bouts are quite embelished. They seem to be worse when there is little drama in her life but non exsistant when there is some thing she want to do that would be counter productive to her illness.

Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Can you tell me a few things about your mother and her behavior.

What is her "illness" that causes memory loss? Does she have other health conditions going on. And does she take medications, if so, what are they?

And can you give me a "for instance" in regard to her "bouts of delirium"....what does she do or say?

Also, can you tell me something about her living arrangements, social activity, and how often she sees family members and/or friends?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she is in liver failure and taking all medication associated with it. She lives with her husband and i live 24 milesa away. We speak atleast once a day.
About the delirium, aneghbor found her sitting in her yard did not know who she was or where, called the police on husband when came home from workbecause he was a stranger in her home. She call me atleast once a week and asks me if I am katherine her daughter and what day of the week it is. Though if she wants to drive out of town by her self to visit friends for 5 days she will have no epasodes and refuses to talk to me because i tell her that in her condition it is irresponcable and dangerous to be driving any where at all especialy hundreds of miles.
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
You are correct about her driving. She should not be driving anywhere alone, especially not for long distances. And she may be having episodes during these trips but does not want you to know.

In liver failure, especially if advanced, it is common for episodes of delirium type behavior to occur. Hepatic encephalopathy (meaning the brain is affected by the liver failure) is common in later stages of the disease process.

So, I would not assume that her behavior episodes are "faked", they are probably quite real. She may be coming to a time where she should not be left alone because of this. These episodes can come and go with periods of normal cognitive behavior between them.

The only thing you can do at this point is continue to be supportive of her. You might need to discuss the possibility of having someone stay with her when her husband is gone to work. And certainly inform her doctor of this behavior, as she may need adjustment of medications.