CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

my neck..skull..numbness in my face and arms - my hands are really bad

Hi, I get a lot of pain in the base of my neck, followed by the feeling of an electric current in the base of my skull. I often get numbness in my face and arms - my hands are really bad. I have diagnosed carpel tunnel syndrome, but its my neck thats causing big problems. Sometimes it hurts so much my head feels too heavy for it, and I get a pulsating feeling in my brain which goes right into my eyes. One night the pain in my head was so severe, it woke me up - I thought I was going to die - I was holding my head and couldn't even cry it was excruciating. On a scale of 1-10, that was a 10. I tied a scarf around my head very tightly to relieve some of the pain which helped. I get unexpected swelling in fingers as well.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today.

CamilleRN :

The kind of pain you are describing may be due to a disk problem in your upper back.

CamilleRN :

This can not only cause neck pain but pain in arms and hands as well as swelling in the fingers.

CamilleRN :

You really need to see a Doctor for an examination and X-rays to try to determine the cause. In the mean time.....

Customer:

ok, does that explain the throbbing pain I get as well?

CamilleRN :

There is a cream that works amazingly well. I ave witnessed many patients rave about it's effectiveness.. patients with back pain...neck pain.....carpal tunnell,, tendonitis etc.. it's Called Topricin and is only available at holistic medicine shops, health food stores and the internet. It works by decreasing inflammation, increasing circulation, and encouraging lymphatic drainage. Here is a link to read more about it:
TOPRICIN

Customer:

its usually intermittent - starts any time and can last for hours

Customer:

having an attack now - i get light headed and dizzy very often too

CamilleRN :

I can also be due to migraines.... do you have a headache along with this?

Customer:

yesterday I got up to answer the phone, everything went dizzy, very dark and I could hear my sister talking on the phone, but could not answer her - it took several minutes before I was able to move

Customer:

very dull ache in the base of my skull radiating to the crown

CamilleRN :

hummmm......could be migraine. Migraines result from a combination of blood vessel enlargement and the release of chemicals from nerve fibers that coil around these blood vessels. During a migraine, an artery enlarges that is located on the outside of the skull just under the skin of the temple (temporal artery). it can , but doesn't always cause a release of chemicals that cause pain, numbness, tingling, dizziness, nausea, and more. So you can have a migraine with or without the headache. Migraines are notorious for causing alterations in vision, such as shakey or wavy lines. A Neurologist is the one who will be able to help pinpoint the cause and determine if it is migraines, as well as come up with a plan to help you. IN the mean time,Try resting in a dark quiet room... if you can take it, ibuprofen according to package directions is much more effective than tylenol.. also I would recommend alternating hot and cold packs to the back of your neck...as well as smelling some eucalyptus/peppermint oil.. together or individually, just for a second. I hope this information helps you, please let me know if I can help you further:-)

Customer:

and lately I have been seeing moving lights a lot as well - even when I dont have a headache

Customer:

perhaps your right - i have had migraines in the past, and have been under immense pressure lately - separated from husband and not sleeping good

Customer:

do you think its worht me seeing a chirpractor?

Customer:

are we done?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
yes..a chiropractor may be helpful for you. Make sure he takes an Xray before actual manipulation.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.