Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Julia only Hey Julia have missed you! I have been really

Julia only Hey Julia have missed you! I have been really upset a dear friend of mine had a mammogram & they found a lump, she went in for a sonogram & now she has to have a biopsy. She is in the hospital now for a hysterectomy so now I don't know when she will have the biopsy. She had a mammogram last year, but there was nothing on it. Colon cancer does run in her family. She said they told her 9 times out of 10 it's nothing. With having the mammogram last yr. how likely could it be bad?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 2 years ago.

Hi Beth,

I totally understand your concerns but it is true what they told her - 9 out of 10 times it is nothing, just benign tissue.

But, of course, there are other issues that are important to know. For example, if she has family history of breast cancer (mom or sisters), she is definitely at a higher risk for having it as well. However, given the fact that it was found on mammogram, even if it is bad, it is very early and having surgery will get rid of the entire cancer area. What I am trying to say that even if it "bad", it is still ok because it was found early and is curative.

One of my nurses at work (with history of breast cancer in her mom and in her sister) had a spot biopsied which turned out to be early (very early) breast cancer. She opted to have both of her breasts removed (because of such heavy family history). There was actually cancer in the other breast too but too small to detect even with mammogram. So she is 100% fine, had breasts rebuilt and is doing great.

Your friend should be able to do a biopsy within the next 4 weeks. Hysterectomy should not interfere with getting it done after the first week or two.

Don't worry, chances are it is nothing!!

Sorry for such a long dragged out answer :)

Julia

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Julia,

She had an abdominal hysterectomy. She was sick the whole day after surgery. She was suppose to go home the day after, but they kept her yesterday. I haven't heard from her today, I'm sure she isn't feeling much better. I hope they watch her for blood clots as one of my aunts having a hysterectomy had a stroke from a blood clot. I don't know if her mom had breast cancer she never mentioned it, I'm sure she would have. Her dad had colon cancer. I don't know if breast cancer runs in her family or not. I know she usually gets checked for colon cancer every year as well. I think she told me she has let two years go by without a check-up on it. I told her she better get one, and she may have by now I don't know.

Having family history of colon cancer does not put someone at higher risk of breast cancer. But colon cancer does run in families so that's good that she has been getting regular colonoscopies. If her colonoscopy was normal (without polyps), she really doesn't need to have colonoscopies every year, it is usually every 3-5 years.

Hysterectomy is a big surgery so I am not surprised she is still in the hospital. She will be in pain for a few weeks still. Anyone who has any kind of surgery is at risk of blood clots, its not just hysterectomy. The reason for this is that person who is having surgery is immobile during and after surgery and the blood is not moving as well. That puts them at risk for developing the blood clots. The longer the surgery, the higher the risk.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss