CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have been smelling the permanent smell like a burnt transformer

I have been smelling the permanent smell like a burnt transformer for a week.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Hello

Customer:

I'm new in this, are you there?

Dr. Singh :

Yes

Dr. Singh :

Abnormal burnt smell can be a sign of underlying nasal or neurological disorder. It can be caused by sinus infection, nerve damage, seizures and brain tumors. It can also be a side effect of some medications.

Customer:

I have had a permanent smell of a burnt transformer for the last week.

Dr. Singh :

This symptoms should not be ignored and you should see your doctor soon to get checked. You may need some blood tests along with a brain scan. A consultation with an ENT and a neurologist may also be needed.

Customer:

I had a dizzy spell about an hour ago.

Dr. Singh :

A dizzy spell may be connected to abnormal smell due to the underlying neurological problem. Do you have any headache, weakness, nausea or vomiting?

Customer:

headache

Dr. Singh :

I see. You will definitely need to be checked soon.

Dr. Singh :

Please make an appointment with your primary doctor to get checked.

Customer:

I've also been very tired and forgetful

Dr. Singh :

These symptoms may all be connected. Any family history of similar symptoms, epilepsy or brain tumors?

Customer:

no

Dr. Singh :

That is good to know. But you still need to get examined soon.

Dr. Singh :

Any further questions?

Customer:

I've been diagnosed CFS 14 years ago, am medicated. Can it be related

Dr. Singh :

Which medications do you take?

Customer:

Xanax, foxetin and ibuprofeno, sorry the names are XXXXX XXXXX I use here in Argentina

Customer:

Xanax 1mg, Foxetin 20mg, Ibuprofeno 600 mg

Dr. Singh :

Its okay. I was able to find their drug names. These drugs are generally not known to cause these symptoms. But your doctor may decide to stop Foxetin for a while to see if your symptoms resolve.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your answers

Dr. Singh :

you are most welcome. Please click "ACCEPT" so I get credit for my time.

Customer:

Ok

Dr. Singh :

Let me know if you have any problems.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

I do agree with Dr Singh.....

But, Have you actually confirmed that there is a odor? Do other people smell it? There is a syndrome called phantosmia that describes a situation where an individual perceives an odor that does not exist... this can be caused by certain health issues.

Cigarette smoke and other burning items are among the most common smells in this disorder.

Here is a link to read what others have experienced:

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic31962.html

Phantosmia can occur for several reasons... sometimes it occurs as a result of a head injury, an upper respiratory infection,temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine , Parkinson's disease and stroke. The accompanying symptoms are common as well.. if someone smells smoke, their eyes may actually burn.

While it is likely NOT serious, phantosmia can be an indication of a serious illness. I would recommend you see your Doctor for an examination, he will be able to run some tests to rule out serious causes and prescribe a treatment to give you some relief. In the mean time try using some lavender or peppermint drops ( available in health stores) on a hanky and sniff it lightly... this will immediately stop the odor. I hope this helps you. Please let me know if I can help you further:-)

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.