CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I am a 52 y/o black female with intense itching at back of

I am a 52 y/o black female with intense itching at back of my head. The itching first started when I went to the south one summer and at night I sweat in my head b/c it's hot. When I returned the intense itching started and has not resolved since. I have seen 3 different dermatologist. I have tried topical steroids betamethasone lotion and clobetasol spray. I have tried OTC products. Recently I was given Nizoral 2% shampoo twice weekly. Not working either. I do have eczema. I have 2 dogs (westies). I also found out after the summer vacation my mother-in-law had advanced lung cancer and she had this fungus on the side of ther face/neck area and I slept in her bed. Thx CDM. I am a healthcare professional. The itching doesn't keep me awake during the night but when I wakeup in am the itching starts again
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today.

CamilleRN :

I can imagine this must be very annoying to you... not to mention the potential for a secondary infection due to scratching. The application of Nizoral shampoo may not be enough... ( if it is even fungal) I would recommend you ask your Doctor to culture a scraping to see what it is, which will dictate the best modality of treatment. Simple answer, but I think this is the way to go on this.