CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

For over a week I have felt bloated and my stomach distended,

For over a week I have felt bloated and my stomach distended, then the last couple of days I have felt gassy. The pain varys from mild to moderate and is like a nagging pain. I am lactose intolerant and stupidly in the past 2 weeks or so ate quite a few ice cream sandwiches, which I know I should not have done. I also ate several bowls of processed white cheddar popcorn. I have taken Gas-X, Tums and made a tea with cinnamon and ginger. It seemed better yesterday somewhat but I ate too much at dinner and had a little ice cream before bed and now it seems worse today. I have also used a laxative and stool softener to help move anything along that might be causing the pain. I really feel that it is gas pain because I feel like I need to pass gas but can't. What can I do to get rid of this nagging pain? I know I need to watch what I eat in the future and believe me I will. I just want this pain to go away now. Help!
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today.

CamilleRN :

WHERE is the pain?

CamilleRN :

Does it seem to be more on the left or right?

Customer:

Oh, sorry I should have stated that. It is lower right side.

Customer:

I meant to say lower left side. sorry

CamilleRN :

You may have something called Irritable bowel syndrome( IBS) IBS is a term given to a functional bowel disorder that can cause constipation, diarrhea , either or… or both.. Try this, drink least 8 glasses of water per day. Purchase Bio- K Plus - Fermented Rice Probiotic, ( available in the cold case of health food stores) , which is an excellent probiotic that will not only help with regularity but also improve your immune system, also purchase Benefiber..( Over the counter) and take it per package directions. This combined with Bio K will promote regular, productive, well formed, easy to pass stools and help eliminate abdominal bloating and gas. Here is a link to read more about Bio-K HERE

Customer:

I do have IBS and have had it all my life.

CamilleRN :

I think Bio K will make a tremendous difference for you

CamilleRN :

if you take it today, you may have relief in as little as a few hours

CamilleRN :

Start with 1/4 bottle two times per day, working up to 1/2 bottle two times per day, every day.

Customer:

I understand that that would help in the future but I what can I do right now to ease the pain I have and make it go away.

CamilleRN :

the bottles are small and the taste is good... kind of yogurty tasting.

CamilleRN :

it works fast

Customer:

sorry your answer was delayed.

CamilleRN :

that's ok:-)

Customer:

Would they sell that at CVS?

CamilleRN :

no:-(

CamilleRN :

Do you have a health food store nearby?

Customer:

No, the closest would be 1/2 hr away.

CamilleRN :

the probiotic pills that are available at CVS are not as effective

Customer:

anything else i can try without going to a health food store?

CamilleRN :

It might be well worth the drive. If you do.. you can get a 6 pack that will last more than a week

CamilleRN :

You can get CVS probiotic pills

CamilleRN :

but they do take longer to work

CamilleRN :

the bio K has the most active bacteria

CamilleRN :

als.

CamilleRN :

err.... also, have you considered taking lactaid when you eat milk products?

CamilleRN :

it will completely stop the lactose intolerance because it contains the enzyme that you don't have in your body

Customer:

This is not something a normally have a problem with. So I don't think I will need it daily. I overdid it with the ice sandwiches and popcorn and caused this problem. I just need to get rid of it now and go back to normal.

CamilleRN :

another product to enduce bowel movement is magnesium citrate, but it does cause some cramping and diarrhea... and, if you had any kind of blockage it can be dangerous.

CamilleRN :

MAg Citrate is available at CVS

Customer:

I have been staying away from milk products for the most part because i know what they do to me. But my husband brought home the ice cream sandwiches which I love and I couldn't stay away.

Customer:

I am having bowel movements. I just have the gas and bloating.

CamilleRN :

it's ok to eat them..just next time take a lactaid with the very first bite.

CamilleRN :

How much gas- x did you take?

Customer:

Since Saturday I have probably taken 6, plus 3 tums, 1 laxative and a stool softener Sunday night.

Customer:

I also had out on Sunday and had all you can eat shrimp

CamilleRN :

Do y ou have any nausea?

Customer:

no

CamilleRN :

good.. because you know the appendix is on the right and starts out with gassy pain

Customer:

my pain in on the left

CamilleRN :

if you lie on your back and press on that area and release quick...what does it feel like?

Customer:

it is painful but not bad

Customer:

it just a dull, nagging pain and i feel like i need to (sorry) let out one big fart and would feel better.

CamilleRN :

that makes me worry about it being appendix

Customer:

with pain on the left

Customer:

?

CamilleRN :

did you try press and release? Appendix pain can be referred

Customer:

yes, it is painful

Customer:

it is was appendix and i have been feeling bloated for like 10 days before the pain started would i not have other more serious problems by now

CamilleRN :

I really think you need an untrasound to rule that out

CamilleRN :

not necessarily... people can have a colicky appendix for years

CamilleRN :

I know you want an immediate fix, so Do I, I wish there was something to make it go away right now

Customer:

but none of this started until ate all that ice cream and I have a strong reaction to ice cream.

CamilleRN :

the safest thing to do, since it has been such a long period of time, is to go to the ER and let them examine you

CamilleRN :

going now is better than going at night when they have the skeleton crew on duty

CamilleRN :

anything that lasts for more than a few days should be checked out

Customer:

i can't go now because i have a home daycare and have 4 children in my home right now plus another one coming after school.

CamilleRN :

ok.. I understand... but will you go as soon as you can?

CamilleRN :

when you actually have a bowel movement does it relieve the pain?

CamilleRN :

you know what else it could be is diverticulitis... which is a pouching in the colon... and most commonly presents with lower left quadrant pain. This is sometimes relieved with a liquid diet. Here is an article to compare: DIVERTICULITIS

Customer:

I actually just had to go and now the pain is substantially less. It was the best bowel movement I have had in two days. I think I will try the probiotics first and see how it goes and eat light for the next day or so and try to get myself back to normal. If the pain gets pain again, I will go to the ER.

Customer:

If the bad does not go away or gets worse I will go to the ER. Thank you for your help.