Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

when i wear heels my big toe bone hurts. i am assuming it

when i wear heels my big toe bone hurts. i am assuming it is because my heel is raised so much and the pressure is on my toes. how can i still wear heels and not have my toe hurt?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer , wearing high heels a lot of time , can produce foot and big toe pain.
Wearing high heels increase the tendency to have bunions ,specially in the big toe . This a bony prominence in the big toe . The bone inflammation and the contact between your big toe and the shoes produce this pain.It also increase the tendency to have further problems like the formation of corns ,calluses and toes malformations over time. What you should do is getting the proper heels that fit properly not too tight or not too loose , get a silicone metatarsal pad ( it will relieve the pressure on your toes and it will replace the fat tissue that almost everyone lose over the years ), wear opened toes heels and thicker heels with a gradual slope so your body can have more balance and there is less pressure on your big toe .
If the pain does not improve ,consult a Podiatrist specialist for a further medical evaluation so you can receive a more specific treatment.
Please click accept if you like the answer, so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my toe can hurt just by bending the toe. what will this pad do? where do I get them?
Hi, the metatarsal pads , relieve the forefoot pain, they replace the fat tissue that we all lose over the years ,reducing the pressure on the ball of your foot , you will have more balance while you are walking and it will decrease the pressure on your big toe .

At the same time, if you experience a lot of pain when you bend your toe , you could be experiencing a degenerative joint disease with subsequent joint inflammation that is affecting your big toe called Hallux Rigidus .

This is a condition that must be managed early to avoid further joint degeneration. You should consult a Podiatrist who will perform a X-Rays to determine the level of degeneration and inflammation.

Your doctor will treat you with anti-inflammatory medications or corticosteroids injections to reduce the inflammation and alleviate the pain.Sometimes surgery could be necessary.

If you want to get metatarsal pads ,you can get them at amazon ,here is the link :

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=metatarsal+pads&sprefix=metatarsa

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD