CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

time developed a rash on his chest and sometimes under his arm

Hopefully there is someone who can help or can give us a new direction as to what to do. Starting from the beginning(you might want to grab some coffee at this point!), my 37 year old son worked as a roofer for many years, and during this time developed a rash on his chest and sometimes under his arm. He was told that he was allergic to the nickel in the button on his jeans, so switched work pants. That did no good. He has been told that he is allergic to many different things by many different doctors, but for one reason or another, no allergy tests have been done. He no longer works in that field, but the rashes continue. I thought perhaps the humidity had something to do with it because he lives in Illinois, and his younger sister who lives in Florida has something similar, only on her ankles and lower legs. Her twin brother lives here in Colorado and does not have the rash. My daughter works in the landscaping field, so she too is outside. When my son came to visit the rash got worse, so maybe my idea is not the way to go. He has used Naftin HCI 1% cream, but it is painful to put on. It got bad enough that taking a shower was painful, so he decided to start taking Prednisone 10mg, which he does not like. He doesn't like what it does to him, and when he stops taking it, the rash comes back with a vengance. It looks like a cross between what I would call a rash and the hives. THey have switched to all pure soap, detergent and fabric softener on the advice of another doctor. He also said that he does not sweat much, and never has. Does anyone have any ideas? If there is anymore information you need, please let me know. Thank you so much for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today.

CamilleRN :

does it look like any of these?

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Customer:

It looks worse than the first and second picture, but I myself have never seen it as bad as the third. It is more widespread over his chest and perhaps as red, but maybe not the extent of some of those sores. I know that it itches terribly to the point of some of them bleeding from the scratching, some of which he will do in his sleep. Does this help any?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
The rashes in the pictures are fungal rashes. Fungus is present on our skin every where..when we sweat and skin becomes irritated fungus is able to take up residence in the form of a rash ( infection). Has he ever tried an ANTI fungl cream?( such as Lotrimin)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure he has ever tried something like that, but given the fact that the lotion that was prescribed to him is too painful to put on, I'm not sure this is something he would do but I wil pass it on. He said he does not sweat(which I'm not sure is possible) or have ever noticed himself doing so, even when he was roofing. He is not out in the elements like he used to be, so what would be causing this? He does shower daily even after out running errands. Is there any more precautions or is this just from living in a humid climate(although it did get worse when he was here for the week)?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
With fungus , a antifungal powder after showering can help prevent it. Ask him to TRY the antifungal in a small area to see what happens. If it works... then use it where ever he has the rash. It may take a week to 10 days to clear. Once clear, using antifungal bath powder should keep it away.