Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

My 5 yr old son had 4 immunizations this past Friday, as well

My 5 yr old son had 4 immunizations this past Friday, as well as the FLU nasal mist. His immunizations were :MMR, DTP, Polio, and Varicella (chicken pox). He was not compliant and needed to be held down. He put up a pretty strong fight and has a small bruises here and there to show for it. My issue is that at the MMR site he has an elevated reddened area about the size of a 1/2 dollar, but not necessarily perfectly round. He is not complaining of pain, but does say that it itches. I gave him a dose of Benedryl this evening (1st dose for this issue). He is not complaining of any other symptoms. He is 5 yrs old. This is his 2nd MMR. I do not recall any issues with the 1st one. Is this related to movement while the injection was performed or is this an allergic reaction that I need to worry about? The reddened elevated area was visible the same evening he received the injection. At that time, I thought it was simply another bruise on the way, but the site has not bruised. I has not gotten any bigger or smaller since it appeared the night he received the injection (Friday Oct 7th).
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Does he have any fevers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
99.0 F oral temp this afternoon - 98.2 F @4 pm - no fever earlier - I will check him right now -- 99.4 just this minute
This temperature is still a normal temperature - so this is not something that is that concerning.
I would recommend that you do have the pediatrician see your child tomorrow or Tuesday if this is NOT improving or is getting bigger - but USUALLY this is just a reaction to the injection - which can happen especially on 2nd or more injections of the same vaccine as the body does have an immune response - so this really does not sound concerning.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you