Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I have been feeling very tired lately on a continuous basis.

I have been feeling very tired lately on a continuous basis. Even though I sleep long hours, my energy level remains low. Some of my joints ache as well. After teaching, I feel especially exhausted. It is true that teaching takes a lot of energy, but the exhaustion seems excessive to me.

At the beginning of August I underwent a very disappointing one-week job interview in Australia that was very stressful, time-consuming, and energy-consuming. It has taken some time to get over emotionally not getting the job. At first, I thought this was the explanation, but it is now October.

Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
You know what you are describing could be depression too from what you have described to about your work, interviewing, etc.
This could also be due to menopause (hormones).
And, this could also be due to an infection -
So, I would recommend getting a WBC - White blood count to see if you have an infection and then also you should be evaluated for depression which is very common for women of your age to have your symptoms like this.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am already being treated for depression, having been on a high dose of antidepressants for a long time. At first, I too thought it was just a struggle with depression by overcoming the disappointment of the interview. But I know the symptoms of depression very well, and that is not what this is. This is far more a feeling of physical exhaustion.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Then I would pursue a few things:
1. Get your thyroid checked with a TSH thyroid blood test - you might have hypothyroidism (low thyroid)
2. If you are in menopause or close to menopause - this could be due to estrogen decreases
3. Finally get evaluated for an infection - and some MONO type of infections can do this to you such as EBV - Epstein barr virus or CMV - cytomegolovirus.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you