Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

can you take phentermine and prozac together how long is

can you take phentermine and prozac together? how long is it safe to take phentermine? I take half a 37.5 pill each day and 20 mgs of prozac
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

hi

Dr Brims :

In general this is best to avoid since prozac may increase the effect of phentermine

Customer:

is that why I have read that sometimes people use them together to intensify the effect?

Customer:

What about the length of time using phentermine

Dr Brims :

Possibly, yes

Dr Brims :

I don't understand you last question

Customer:

well how long (months, years) can one safely use the drug

Dr Brims :

There is no limited time I am aware of

Customer:

okay great thank you

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

ohh what about the fact that I have a history of bulimia

Dr Brims :

That is not a problem

Customer:

but not currently engaging in the behavior for a while now

Dr Brims :

Okay

Customer:

excellent phentermine does not lower the seizure threshold?

Customer:

like wellbutrin

Dr Brims :

Yes, it does lower the seizure threshold

Customer:

but am I okay since I am not throwing up now?

Dr Brims :

Yes

Customer:

okay if I were to relapse then I would need to stop?

Customer:

what is the seizure threshold and are the benefits of phentermine worth the risks?

Customer:

sorry so many questions

Dr Brims :

Into Bulemia?

Customer:

yes relapse into bulimia

Dr Brims :

It would be wise to stop it then

Customer:

it isn't like past bulimic behavior has a current affect on my seizure threshold now using phentermine?

Dr Brims :

No, it does not

Customer:

okay

Dr Brims :

Please click the green accept button if you have no other questions

Customer:

if I am only like 5 pounds over weight is it dumb to take the phentermine?

Dr Brims :

It is not indicated if you are 5 pounds overweight

Customer:

you mean it is not supposed to be used if you are only 5 pounds over weight?

Dr Brims :

It is generally indicated for obese patients

Customer:

i mean according to BMI my range is like 120-35 something like that so I still qualify for it

Dr Brims :

Okay

Customer:

but is silly to take it for such a negligible weight loss?

Dr Brims :

I would not recommend it

Customer:

because the risks?

Dr Brims :

Because it is not indicated

Customer:

then why do doctors give it to me?

Dr Brims :

I cannot determine that, you need to ask the doctors that prescribe it for you why they are doing that

Customer:

okay thanks so much I really appreciate our chat.

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience