CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

what can i take or eat to get a healtier brain i cant think

what can i take or eat to get a healtier brain? i can't think clear, consentrate or focus as i used too. i think this happening because i used too drink too much beer or alcohol and last 3 or 4 years i have been living under some stress. please let me know what i can do, besides not consuming alcohol and getting rid of the stress?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. In the absence of disease, the best things you can do to promote clear thinking is to eat a well balanced , healthy diet which consists of lean protein, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and at least 8 glasses of water per day... sleeping a good 8 hours per night ( or what ever YOUR optimal amount is) , regular ( daily) cardiovascular exercise and a daily period of relaxation, such as meditation. When you have your body in an optimal state this will promote optimal brain function as well.

Customer:

i have never meditate before. i don't know how to do that.

Customer:

i don't even know how to relax.

Customer:

can you please help me.

CamilleRN :

Yes:-)

CamilleRN :

Basically..... meditation is where you sit or lie in a nice quiet place...can be anywhere...even under the stars. Close your eyes and try to clear all thoughts..

CamilleRN :

this is done by "feeling" everything around you

CamilleRN :

such as the breeze... the sounds... the"feel" of the grass..or the bed you are lying on. This will create an inner peacefulness.

CamilleRN :

If you do this every night... or every day, when ever you can, you will get better and better at it and will begin to see a big difference in your every day life. The way that you perceive things.... the way that every day stressors will no longer bother you as much.

CamilleRN :

There is also an excellent relaxation exercise...

CamilleRN :

( per UNKC.com)

1. Lie on your back with your eyes closed, feet slightly apart, arms slightly away from sides, and palms upward.

2. Allow your breath to slow down. Put your entire attention on the breath as it moves in and out. (Pause 20 counts.)

3. Tense the muscles of your feet. (Pause 5 counts and gently relax. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

4. Tense the muscles of your calves. (Pause 5 counts. Relax. Let the tension go. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

5. Tense the muscles of your stomach. (Pause 5 counts. Relax. Let the tension go. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

6. Tense the muscles of your chest. (Pause 5 counts. Relax. Let the tension go. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

7. Clench your fists tightly. (Pause 5 counts. Relax. Let the tension go. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

8. Tense your elbows and tense your biceps. Hold them tight. (Pause 5 counts. Relax and straighten arms. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

9. Tense the muscles of your neck. (Pause 5 counts. Relax. Let the tension go. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)

10. Tense the muscles of your head and face. (Pause 5 counts. Relax. Let the tension go. Pause 20 counts. REPEAT.)"

CamilleRN :

That is an excellent relaxation exercise at bed time as it will often cause sleep:-)

Customer:

thank you very much i will try all this. can you recomend me which fruits are better?

CamilleRN :

Fruits such as pears, apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, peaches and tomatoes are very healthy.

Customer:

thanks again!

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.