CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Hi im coming back to you a year on..............im still

Hi i'm coming back to you a year on..............i'm still no better , i started takng B6 tablets in October 2010 for the hot flushes, i took it for 7 months and saw no difference, and then i took sage tablets for 2 months, still no difference. Then i noticed that hot flushes and weight gain are now listed as side effects for Duloxetine (cymbalta), so my GP suggested i try coming off it month by month lowering the dose. So over the past 3 months i have been lowering the dose. 2 weeks ago i stopped taking it altogether but the hot flushes have not subsided, how long should i give it to notice any difference (if there is going to be any difference)? Have you heard of ground flax seed (that you can sprinkle on your cereal) being used to help stop hot flushes?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. By now the Cymbalta is gone. Has your Doctor done labs to try to isolate the cause of the hot flushes?

Customer:

i've had blood tests to see if i'm peri menopausal, but that showed that i'm not. i had sub total hysterectomy 3 years ago, i still have my ovaries though. HRT i don't want to start as weight gain is an issue for me anyway and cant afford to put anymore on.

CamilleRN :

Did he check your thyroid?

Customer:

yes and that is normal

CamilleRN :

A hypoactive thyroid can cause weight gain as well as hot flashes....and sometimes with certain thyroid problems, such as Hashimotos where the thyroid hormones can fluctuate, test results may not pick up on a problem if your thyroid hormones happen to be in the normal range when checked.

CamilleRN :

Another consideration is being over weight naturally increases heat intolerance.

CamilleRN :

Flax seed is said to be helpful. Are your bowels normal?

CamilleRN :

Sluggish bowels can cause abdominal bloating and weight gain

Customer:

i'm 7 stone 11 pounds, not overweight really, but because i'm in a wheelchair if i was to gain more weight i'd find it difficult to transfer in /out of my chair.

Customer:

my bowels are pretty regular

CamilleRN :

Oh, I see. I am sorry to hear that. Yes, you are right, weight gain would make it more difficult to transfer. I have a suggestion.....

Bio- K ( available in the cold case of health food stores) is an excellent probiotic that will not only help with regularity but also improve your immune system,which can improve your over all health. Improving your over all health may help to eliminate the hot flushes.

CamilleRN :

I am checking now to see if it is available in the UK

CamilleRN :

yes it is;-)

CamilleRN :

Another thought...

CamilleRN :

are you well hydrated? Dehydration can cause one to feel Hot

CamilleRN :

you should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day

Customer:

bio-k , when do i take that?

CamilleRN :

It should be taken twice per day. When you begin, start with 1/4 bottle in the morning and 1/4 bottle in the evening. The bottles are small. After one week increase to 1/2 bottle in the morning and 1/2 bottle in the evening.

Customer:

is this similar to actimel or activia

CamilleRN :

It is similar, but the bio K has 50 BILLION active bacteria per bottle... a much higher count than any of the others.

CamilleRN :

I have used all the flavors, but the Strawberry is the most pleasant tasting.

CamilleRN :

also, it has No sugar or artificial flavor added. Gluten-free. No GMO’s

Customer:

the odd thing is my hot flushes are worse in the everning

CamilleRN :

I am wondering about your cortisol levels..have they been tested? Cortisol can affect heat tolerance as well.

CamilleRN :

there is a relationship between cortisol levels and core temperature and heat tolerance.

Customer:

with cortisol levels how can this be linked to hot flushes?

CamilleRN :

Because abnormal levels can cause how flushes as can Addison's disease and other adrenal problems.

CamilleRN :

Ask your Doctor to look further to try to find the cause.

CamilleRN :

in the mean time.... try the Bio-K

CamilleRN :

I think you will be pleased with it

Customer:

i'll try

Customer:

thanks

CamilleRN :

you are very welcome:-)

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.